Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question about servicing. . . .

Date: 06/13/19 08:36
Question about servicing. . . .
Author: Narniaman

On the way to work this morning here in beautiful Salem, Oregon I noticed a couple of locomotives working the UP yard, and started wondering. . . 

Where would those locomotives be serviced? Do they go to Portland for routine service. . . or points further away?? 

Let's say they need some major repair but something less than a full engine overhaul -- say maybe a traction motor replacement or fuel pump repair or electrical control work; is that done in Portland -- or are they taken to Roseville?

What do the short lines do when they need something they can't do in-house, like fuel injector pump work?? Where do their locmotives go?? 

Thanks!! 

Date: 06/13/19 12:48
Re: Question about servicing. . . .
Author: KEL27

They used to go to Hinkle for service (like 90-day stuff). With most of Hinkle shut down, I would imagine the work would fall to Roseville. Check the engines and see if their is a terminal name stenicled under the cab. I can't remember if UP does that or not, but I know that's how we used to tell where SP power got serviced. For routine stuff, I would think they would rotate through Albina and for minor stuff someone would jump in a truck a drive to the engine.

Date: 06/13/19 20:12
Author: JasonCNW

power that is used in outlaying yards or terminal's will get sent to closest shop for 90 day inspections or repairs while a replacement unit takes their place. For emergency repairs ive seen hulcher come in with side boom cranes and lifta locomotive to replace Traction motors or wheel change out.
JC

Posted from Android

Date: 06/14/19 13:38
Author: ross

There is a SB manifest (hospital train) on the Shasta route right now. 9x2 power arrangement. 6 of the units are dead headed to Roseville.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds