Home Open Account Help 164 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Unlimited Parking in K. Falls

Date: 06/16/19 21:56
Unlimited Parking in K. Falls
Author: HH

Got outa town with a foamer buddy on Memorial Day weekend...spent some time around Klamath Falls...
...was surprised to see 70-80 units stored in the yard there...
...others have said UP stands for unlimited parking...I guess they're not wrong!

1. K. Falls yard, 5/24, looking south at the end of the day.
2. ditto.

Hopmere Hank

Date: 06/16/19 21:59
Re: Unlimited Parking in K. Falls

I would loved to have droned these units, but Klamath Falls is a no-fly zone...
...international airport...Oregon Air National Guard...firefighting air tanker base...etc.
stuck on the ground...sigh.

HH

Date: 06/16/19 23:26
Author: pdt

"We Can't Handle It"    "We dont want to bother handling it "

Date: 06/16/19 23:36
Author: coach

Symbolic of all the traffic UP has lost since taking over the SP.  There are still many spurs and warehouses that can ship by rail, but does UP want to switch them, or want their business??

Date: 06/17/19 03:17
Author: TCnR

Wow, that's incredible. No traffic just stored power.

Good to see those high desert storm clouds though. Spent a lot of time in that area chasing around on the OC&E, the BN and Wobbly, oh and those SP guys too.

Date: 06/17/19 05:42
Author: ble692

Plans are for most of the AC units there to be returned to service. Any non AC power, such as the 9594 first out, are destined to remain for a long time I'd imagine.

Date: 06/17/19 08:08
Author: BAB

Has been a lot of speculation about UPs problems but it was noted about four years ago in Trains not much else was said.  But dont think its just UP as the boxcars stored about 25 miles north are Railbox ones and have been there for almost a year.  About no fly, well the local paper had a shot two years ago from a drone that was taken about a 1/4 mile from your shot.  Hard to tell how high up, it was of a fire right under final aproach to the airport there. Dont know if they had permission to do it or not and doubt it as it was just some person who provided it to them.

Date: 06/17/19 10:13
Author: TCnR

When I drove through last month Modoc Point had stored TBox cars, including similar UP/ex SP box cars. Dorris siding had stored old covered hoppers. Very neatly stored, very precise so to speak.

Date: 06/17/19 10:41

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I drove through last month Modoc Point had stored TBox cars, including similar UP/ex SP box
> cars. Dorris siding had stored old covered hoppers. 

Yep, I saw both of those sidings of stored cars...didn't think to get a photo of either one (too busy chasing trains!).

HH

Date: 06/17/19 11:18
Author: PHall

HH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would loved to have droned these units, but
> Klamath Falls is a no-fly zone...
> ...international airport...Oregon Air National
> Guard...firefighting air tanker base...etc.
> stuck on the ground...sigh.
>
> HH

Thank you for actually following the rules. Wish there were more drone flyers like you.

Date: 06/17/19 13:28
Author: SimpleMoMike

I was in Klamath Falls on Friday and snapped this view from one side of the overpass. It is a shame that UP doesn't switch out some of the faded flag units for better looking unit such at 9704 sitting in the middle of these stored units.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds