Home Open Account Help 200 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Most Famous Waterfall in Montana

Date: 07/01/19 15:34
The Most Famous Waterfall in Montana
Author: funnelfan

.....has a BNSF mainline next to it. Late yesterday afternoon I was gazing down from 2000' above the falls at the Kootenai River Gorge that divides the Cabinet Mountains from the Purcell Mountains as a westbound Z train made it's way downriver. Kootenai Falls is the only major disruption to surprisingly tame river. The location where early passenger trains would pause on their days long transcontinental journey so weary passengers could refresh themselves in the mist of the churning waters. The site is still popular today for travelers on Hwy 2. Sadly Amtrak Empire Builder trains pass through this scenic marvel in the darkness of night (still the most idiotic schedule of Amtrak long distance trains in my opinion). Kootenai Falls has been featured in two movies of the past few decades. 1994's The River Wild featuring Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon, and 2015's The Revenant starring Leonardo Dicaprio.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/19 15:39 by funnelfan.

Date: 07/01/19 15:44
Re: The Most Famous Waterfall in Montana
Author: Ritzville

A GREAT look at Kootenai River Falls!

Larry

Date: 07/01/19 15:57
Author: tomstp

Nice ones.

Date: 07/01/19 16:35
Author: funnelfan

Just found this article dated June 22, 1896. A landslide derailed a GN freight train causing several cars to go into the Kootenai River. 12 "tramps" climbed aboard one of the early wooden boxcars that was floating down the river. Despite efforts to rescue them, the unlucky fellows and the boxcar went over the Kootenai River Falls to their death.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/01/19 17:43
Author: photobob

Nice photos Ted, I thought they were taken with a drone.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 07/01/19 18:30
Author: misty1

Beautiful pics Ted and I have to agree with you about Amtrak.

Ed

Date: 07/01/19 19:22
Author: Ericchr

Great vantage point and gorgeous shots!

Date: 07/01/19 20:11
Author: SPgoletablock

Insane overlook, spectacular !!

Date: 07/02/19 15:30
Author: ns1000

Great pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds