Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mural Monday: Lisbon, IA

Date: 07/01/19 15:33
Mural Monday: Lisbon, IA
Author: santafe199

Here’s an interesting mural I found on my way home from the 2018 Santa Fe convention in Naperville, IL. A little bit of home-spun PR, it’s painted on the west wall of the Lisbon History and Culture Center building located at Main & Washington Sts in Lisbon, IA. The steam engine symbolizes the fact that Lisbon is on the former C&NW main line across Iowa. And the Lincoln portrait refers to Lisbon being on the route of the original Lincoln Highway.

1. Wall mural @ Main & Washington Sts in Lisbon, IA on July 23, 2018.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 07/01/19 15:34
Re: Mural Monday: Lisbon, IA
Author: BobP

Needs a little bush trimming but nice.

Date: 07/01/19 15:43
Author: funnelfan

Love historical murals, especially those with a railroad scene.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/19 15:44 by funnelfan.

Date: 07/01/19 15:44

BobP Wrote: > ...  Needs a little bush trimming ...

(chuckling) Well pard, between you 'n me 'n the bush: the paint peeling off the wall also needs some attention. It was a lot worse before P-shop got a hold of it. I left some of the peeling to give the scene some local "character"... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 07/01/19 15:52

funnelfan Wrote: > ...  Love historical murals ...

That's a nice one, Ted! Maybe a B/W photo transferred onto the building wall?? If so, it was a nice touch. I've had a lot of fun traveling the railfan backroads, looking for these murals as well as RR activity. They can appear anywhere & everywhere...

Lance/199

Date: 07/01/19 17:53
Author: MILW86A

CNW8531 and Slacks are from Lisbon

MILW86A 

Date: 07/01/19 18:18

MILW86A Wrote: > ...  CNW8531 and Slacks ...

Small world! That's pretty cool. I really enjoyed tracking the old CNW main across the state. Lots of photo locations right up my "style" alley. First time I ever fanned the CNW was back in 1981, when it still was the CNW. I was on the way to Milwaukee to a wedding... with the guy who was getting married. So we HAD to keep moving! But as I recall we bagged 20 trains in multiple locations, and I ear-marked lots of scenic possibilities in even more places. I do want to come back some day (week... ;^) and spend a few less-hurried days in Iowa...

Lance/199

Date: 07/01/19 18:25
Author: CNW8531

MILW86A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CNW8531 and Slacks are from Lisbon
>
> MILW86A 

You bet we are! I even worked in that very building (it was a grocery store back then) for three years during high school in the early seventies. Lots of good memories from there. Started out at $1.60 per hour in 1973. Hard to believe by today’s standards, but it did put money in my pocket during my high school years. It was enough for a pizza and a movie night out in Cedar Rapids every Saturday night. Those were good times for sure! Then I had to hire out on the railroad and really throw my life out of sync. The things people will do for money!!

Date: 07/01/19 18:53

CNW8531 Wrote: > .. (it was a grocery store back then) ... Started out at $1.60 per hour in 1973 ...

I remember when my grocery store job (post-'73 graduation) went from $1.85 to $2.25 acct converting to full time. That was a FORTY cent raise!!!! OMG!! I thought I was rich beyond compare. Some kinda memories we can stir up... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 07/02/19 07:40
Author: cabman

I get a chuckle from the head of cabbage in the lower right corner.  Could that be a reference to Lisbon's famous Sauerkraut Days each summer?  Nice mural, however, and a shout out to two great brother railroaders/railfans from there.  

Date: 07/02/19 07:43
Author: MILW86A

Sauerkraut Days. I had a few over the top nights there a few times way back when.
MILW86A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1915 seconds