Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > California EMD invasion on BNSF?

Date: 07/05/19 15:45
California EMD invasion on BNSF?
Author: trainjunkie

Is it just me have there more EMDs than usual in California lately? Specifically on the Bakersfield/Stockton side. In the past year I haven't had an EMD leader once. Then last week I had one, than another the next day, and one yesterday. Three EMD leaders (all SD70ACe) out of the last four trips. I've also seen a lot more leading other trains and sitting in yards around here lately too. Last night I had a SD70ACe leader and a SD70MAC in the consist.

I'm not complaining. I know a lot of guys don't like the ACe but I love them. Compared to similar vintage GEs, they run better and are quieter. I've had some heavy trains lately and every one that has had EMDs in the consist has been able to make train speed, which is almost unheard of on my subdivision where overweight, underpowered with ridiculous throttle restrictions trains are the norm.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has noticed this or whether it's happening elsewhere? 

I've also noticed a buttload of 500s (B40-8Ws) have recently appeared on our corner of the railroad for yard jobs. I remember when these were the latest and greatest addition to the Santa Fe Superfleet in the early 90s. Once dedicated to high-speed intermodal service, they are now relegated to yard service, particularly RCO. Terrible switchers. Slow loading miserable beasts that make a day of kicking cars absolute torture. They are all over the place now from Bakersfield to Stockton. I wish they would gather them up and send them back where they came from.

Anyway, here is one of my EMD leaders from a few days ago, tied down after we DOL'ed at Escalon. I hope this trend keeps up for awhile but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed it.

Date: 07/05/19 15:49
Re: California EMD invasion on BNSF?
Author: goneon66

i have noticed more emd's on the seligman sub.  in the last few weeks i have filmed at least 2 trains with sd70 ace leaders and have seen quite a few sd70 macs trailing. i just saw an sd70ace leading a hot e/b z last night..........

Date: 07/05/19 16:15
Author: SOO6617

Reduction in coal traffic.

Date: 07/05/19 16:24
Author: Ritzville

Quite a few EMD's thru Ritzville, WA lately.

Larry

Date: 07/05/19 17:44
Author: mapboy

For reference, I did a railcam blitz for 3 days in June, 6/12-6/14/19.  Of Transcon intermodals seen, 61 Qs and 61 Zs, there were 2 Qs with EMD leaders.  Of the Pacific NorthWest 15 Qs and 8 Zs, there were 3 EMD leaders on the Qs and 1 on a Z, much more frequent than on the Transcon.  I wasn’t as interested in S trains, but of 11 noted, 1 had an EMD leader.

mapboy

Date: 07/05/19 18:22
Author: jimB

I noticed while visiting the Northwest last week there seemed to be more than I was used to seeing.

Jim B

Date: 07/05/19 22:52
Author: upbuddyboy

The UP seems to be using lots of them as leaders on the Brooklyn Sub

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/06/19 08:02
Author: ntharalson

Seeing EMD leaders on the BNSF is undoubtedly the result of lower coal traffic.  The newer ACes and MACs have been used almost exclusively in coal service,
although some of the Superior based engines do end up in taconite service, both from the range to the lake docks and all rail moves.  Now, with two of the big 
mines closed due to bankruptcy and the overall decline in coal shipments, BNSF wants to keep these newer engines working, so they're going into intermodal
and manifest service.  I personally think this is a good thing.  

My question in all this is this:  Have they stopped the "rebuilding" of the older SD70MAC's??  Several have undergone a reworking of their electrical systems,
discernable by their H3 paint.  

Glad you guys in California are getting to see more of them.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/06/19 09:10
Author: MP555

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My question in all this is this:  Have they
> stopped the "rebuilding" of the older
> SD70MAC's??

Supposedly, there were 100 SD70MACs selected for SD70MACe upgrades this year, but that has been put off.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds