Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Williams Loop - UP Canyon Sub

Date: 07/14/19 11:03
Williams Loop - UP Canyon Sub
Author: BobL

Because of highway construction I haven't been down to Williams Loop for a couple of years.  The loop is located about 5 miles east of the town of Quincy, Ca.  With the construction finished I decided to venture inside the loop once again.  As I approached the turnoff from Highway 70, I saw a westbound grain train leaving the loop and figured I wasn't going to see another train. 

But for once, luck was with me!  After parking close to the tunnel structure I looked down the track to the west and saw a green signal so maybe another train was coming.  Very few trains on this line east of Keddie but sure enough, another grainer showed up a few minutes later. 

The access down to the loop and back out hasn't gotten any better.  For my 4x4 pickup, it was no problem but for a 2wd passenger car, getting out could be a problem.  Also, UP has dumped a lot of ballast which has reduced some access to some areas that were previously accessable.

Picture 1)  Westbound UP 6774 enters the loop.
Picture 2)  UP 6774 is about to pass underneath the last part of its train.
Picture 3)  The DPU is UP 6496.

Date: 07/14/19 13:50
Re: Williams Loop - UP Canyon Sub
Author: gobbl3gook

Classic look -- could be 1999.  Power without flags, older hoppers, with minimal tagging.  Thankf for sharing.  

Ted in UT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds