Home Open Account Help 196 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Texas 25 axle consist...

Date: 10/14/19 16:23
A Texas 25 axle consist...
Author: HomerBedloe

Grapevine Vintage RR has put one of their FL9s in service on their weekend tourist trains between Grapevine and the Ft. Worth Stockyards.  The shiny paint attracted me, and with beautiful fall weather and the Cowboys choking against the Jets, I thought I'd head out and try to capture a bit of video of the 2016.  BTW, the 2014 (the sister FL9) is now painted and waiting for its turn at their roundhouse facility.

The 2199 (GP9) has been sandblasted and the first coat of paint has been applied as well.  It is also featured in the video.  GVR must be doing fairly well for all these upgrades.  They have also purchased as bunch of stainless coaches which are being held in Grapevine...maybe some further changes in the future?

The first video features the train moving westward towards Ft. Worth.  The scenes are as follows:

1.  2016 approaching Jurada Road in Haltom City, TX.  The train has just left the improved TexRail tracks and is back on the one section of unimproved FWWR track between Grapevine and Hodge Yard.
2.  As the train moves away, it is approaching FWWR Jct., where the FWWR and UP's Choctaw Sub cross.  I left this in to include the horn of the 2016 (blowing for a road crossing just beyond the diamond) - that is a sweet sounding horn.  Too bad the entire TexRail route is quiet zone crossings!  Once the train crosses FWWR Jct., it returns to the "big iron" of UP's Choctaw 1, until it gets to the west end of Hodge where it returns to FWWR trackage. 
3.  The train is just west of Hodge Yard, paralleling TexRail into Northside Station (Stockyards).  Of all the times to have a TexRail show up...although it came out ok!  You can see the difference in condition between the TexRail main and the FWWR main!
4.  As the train moves away, it is approaching Tower 60 where FWWR crosses UP's Duncan Sub and BNSF's Ft. Worth Sub.  The train was only delayed for about 30 seconds waiting for the signal.
5.  Entering the Stockyards.  Damn construction...was looking for a view all the way to the station but that wasn't going to happen!

There's more in a second video I'll post as a separate thread.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/15/19 09:56
Re: A Texas 25 axle consist...
Author: KDC

The 2199 would not happen to be an ex ATSF?

Date: 10/17/19 21:52
Author: SantaFeRuss

Nice video. Is counting axels the new thing vs counting cars and locomotives??

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

Date: 10/18/19 00:39
Author: fr8kar

I think the odd number of axles that you'd hear on a detector is what the OP is referring to. This is in reference to the five axle locomotive on the head end, which was pretty unusual around these parts until the FL9s arrived last year.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds