Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > West Texas Wanderings with UP 4014 and More

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/06/19 00:45
West Texas Wanderings with UP 4014 and More
Author: 757guy

Of all the places I have traveled in the U.S., rarely have I been captivated by an area more than West Texas. I was once a believer that all of Texas was flat, until I began visiting El Paso about 10 years ago. Even then, I was convinced that the mighty Guadeloupe Mountains to the east and their imposing El Capitan peak were the furthest extent of Texas’ rugged terrain. In 2018, I ventured into the Big Bend region of Texas, hoping to discover more of this fascinating landscape. Indeed, it did not take long for me to fall in love with an area so rich in history, natural splendor, and a way of life that brings the Old West to the present day. Ranches, cowboys, and the importance of family remain cornerstones of this region, and even those traveling through are offered warmth and inclusiveness. The railroad was a vital part of the history of this region, and with it came many towns that provided support to keep the transcontinental flow of goods and people moving. Union Pacific's operations today through this region have evolved significantly from the days of the Southern Pacific, and before that, the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway. The former Texas and Pacific line to the north carries more traffic today, though the former SP still retains its importance. As railroads have evolved, one thing that has not changed is the beauty of the landscape. The terrain ranges from expansive high desert to the mountains surrounding Paisano Pass. Nearly every direction is punctuated by mountains. It is certainly not the flat Texas I thought I once knew. When UP announced that its Great Race Across the Southwest with Big Boy 4014 would include this iconic stretch of trackage, I knew this was the place I wanted to photograph it. I followed the train from just west of Sierra Blanca to Alpine, and I could not have been happier with the chase. Along the way, I photographed a variety of other action on the line, as well.

Hope you enjoy the photos from my wanderings around West Texas between 31Oct and 02Nov.

Image 1: Amtrak’s westbound Sunset Limited hustles between Alpine and Marfa, TX.

Image 2: Breaking the silence of this cloudless night, a westbound UP intermodal thunders through Quebec, TX.

Image 3: The desert will soon return to silence as a westbound UP intermodal rushes across the landscape toward Sierra Blanca.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:46
Re: West Texas Wanderings with UP 4014 and More

Image 4: Running just ahead of Big Boy 4014 on the morning of 01Nov, a UP intermodal with NS power works upgrade toward Sierra Blanca.

Image 5: Here it is! Roaring out of a rock cut, 4014 works upgrade toward its next stop in Sierra Blanca.

Image 6: Even 4014 is dwarfed by the terrain outside of Sierra Blanca.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:47

Image 7: UP employees pause for a photo op during 4014’s stop in Sierra Blanca.

Image 8: 4014 glides out of Sierra Blanca across a bridge still sporting SP heritage.

Image 9: 4014 leaves behind the mountains around Van Horn and heads toward the open high desert of West Texas.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:49

Image 10: 4014 passes farmland in the shadow of nearby peaks enroute to Valentine, TX.

Image 11: The iconic Prada Marfa display outside Valentine, TX stands watch over the passing of 4014. The pop architectural art installation in the literal middle of nowhere features actual Prada products and was constructed in 2005. After surviving vandalism, the Prada products are now protected via high-tech security system.

Image 12: 4014 glides through Ryan, TX enroute to its next stop in Marfa.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:50

Image 13: The Davis Mountains form a backdrop for 4014 as it works through high desert west of Marfa.

Image 14-15: 4014 cuts through iconic elements of a West Texas ranch west of Marfa.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:51

Image 16-17: After leaving Marfa, 4014 works upgrade toward Paisano Pass and its overnight stop in Alpine, TX.

Image 18: 4014 navigates the terrain just outside of Alpine, TX.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:52

Image 19: Having completed its trip over Paisano Pass, 4014 tiptoes into Alpine for its overnight stop.

Image 20: A UP Railroad Police officer keeps watch over the crowds visiting 4014 in Alpine.

Image 21: Ed Dickens converses with 4014 spectators after arrival in Alpine.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:53

Image 22-23: 4014 rests in Alpine as the sun begins to set on another successful day of UP’s Great Race.

Image 24: A UP employee services 4014 in the glow of a West Texas evening.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:54

Image 25-26: Steam and cowboys: The Old West is alive and well.

Image 27: A father and son admire the engineering marvel of Big Boy 4014.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:55

Image 28: 4014 rests under a moonlit and starry Texas sky.

Image 29: After the crowds have dispersed, 4014 sits quietly in the cool fall Texas air awaiting the next day of operations.

Image 30: In the early hours of the morning, an eastbound UP manifest illuminates the tracks from miles away as it races toward Marfa.

More to follow.

Date: 11/06/19 00:56

Image 31: Green signals light the way for an eastbound UP manifest, as stored well cars silently await their next move in the siding.

Image 32: An eastbound UP manifest races upgrade toward Paisano Pass as autoracks reflect the headlights of traffic on US route 90.

Image 33: An eastbound UP manifest heads into the clear Texas night, leaving behind stillness and silence in the desert.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 11/06/19 01:58
Author: SeaboardMan

Thank you!  For me this is the best post on Big Boy yet.

john

Date: 11/06/19 02:00
Author: Evan_Werkema

Fine work on those silhouettes!

Date: 11/06/19 04:11
Author: jmbreitigan

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fine work on those silhouettes!

Indeed, your silhouettes are my favorites. Maybe one of them an IOTD candidate.
John

Date: 11/06/19 04:40
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

Date: 11/06/19 04:57
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Starry nights in Southwest Texas are something everyone needs to experience.

You see stars in the night where you live, probably, but the stars at  Maria-Alpine-Big Bend
and truly a thing to behold.  

Date: 11/06/19 05:44
Author: GMRNE

Ho-ly Smokes!  What a fantastic set of photos!  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/06/19 06:26
Author: SP8595

Phenomenal series!

Date: 11/06/19 06:44
Author: ironmtn

SP8595 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phenomenal series!

Second that motion!!! Wow, what a group of marvelous images. Hard to pick a favorite, but I'd have to go with the cowboy silhouettes next to the Big Boy, especially the third one of the man and boy. Multiple IOTD candidates here, for sure, amid one of the best collections of Big Boy images posted here on TO to date. Really like #21, too - I'm a sucker for big scenes like that that put the train into the much bigger scene's context. Many thanks for sharing these special images.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/19 06:50 by ironmtn.

Date: 11/06/19 06:50
Author: Spikes

SUPER!!! And a lot of effort!!!  Thank you.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0988 seconds