Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Time for more jointed rail noise!

Date: 11/11/19 18:50
Time for more jointed rail noise!
Author: BrianA

BNSF has started the replacement of NP era jointed rail with ribbon rail.on the east side of Stampede Pass.  Yesterday 11-10-19 I drove over to Easton to check on the progress. I was pleased to find a bit of jointed rail still in place on both sides of the Cabin Creek crossing at Easton but the old rail to the east in now ribbon rail, much more quieter as a train passes by.  But for now Cabin Creek crossing is where to be for good old fashioned noise!

I have taken a lot of videos at Easton over the years but the one I took yesterday of the BNSF 6694 East, an empty grain train may be one of my favorites now. Horn echos off the mountains, good GE sound as it works hard to get the train speed up from a standing start, jointed rail still in place making lots of noise and then 10 BN green covered hoppers scattered through out the train.

Sit back, turn up the volume. and listen to a bit of nostolgia tasken in 2019.

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/19 19:01 by BrianA.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/11/19 18:57
Re: Time for more jointed rail noise!
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Very Nice Video Brian!

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 11/11/19 19:12
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable video, nice sound!

Larry

Date: 11/11/19 19:28
Author: mojaveflyer

Wow, the video is good but the noise through a blue tooth "Boom" speaker was amazing! Thanks for sharing...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 11/11/19 20:09
Author: TCnR

Nice work. Like the famous description of the new Rock and roll era of guitar music, " sounds like heavy metal falling from the sky  ".

I've noticed empty cars make a lot more noise than loaded cars, also the empty rigid cavity must add something, if you could hear it over the jointed rail anyways.
t4p.

Date: 11/11/19 20:27
Author: wa4umr

I remember when I was a kid in school.  I always liked stories of trains and in every one of those stories, the train went "Clickity clack, clickity clack."  Kids today won't know that sound.  Heck, they don't even know what a train is these days.

John

Date: 11/11/19 22:22
Author: DynamicBrake

Very nice video Brian.  Thanks for sharing.  Do you happen to know the gradient at this location?

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 11/11/19 22:50
Author: The-late-EMD

Pretty good speed considering it had 2 ES44AC'4S on the point.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/12/19 06:42
Author: BrianA

Interesting point I have never really checked out.  Profile map shows .00 west of the grade crossing and .77 where I am standing.  So they start out pretty level and get into a downhill grade pretty fast, which would explain the slack run in towards the end of the video.
Brian

DynamicBrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice video Brian.  Thanks for sharing.  Do
> you happen to know the gradient at this location?
>
> Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 11/13/19 15:09
Author: Coalca

Great video. You got ES44’s with their great chug, great horn, jointed rail. Sounded almost like the old days. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds