Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Change of Plans

Date: 12/09/19 17:47
A Change of Plans
Author: twjurgens

Fellow TO’er scotty and I did what was supposed to be a  2 - 3 hour  trip last Friday morning beginning mid morning.  Scott was driving and wanted to go toward Ashland, NE and maybe up the Sioux City line to Fremont.  The distance to be traveled should have been my first tip that 2 - 3 hours wouldn't cover it!

We headed east out of Lincoln and, at Waverly, got another hint that plans might need revision.  Maintenance was working on a crossover switch and east bounds were being held temporarily.  As we headed on toward Ashland, we noted clouds beginning to pile up in the east, another ominous sign.  At Greenwood, the crossovers were receiving MAJOR attention so that pretty much killed the idea of much traffic between Lincoln and Ashland for a few hours.  Time for significant changes to the plan!

It looked much brighter to the west so we decided to head back to Lincoln and go along the Alliance line as far as Seward.  As we approached Waverly on the return to Lincoln, we caught 2299 and 1925 east bound with a 4 car local.  Work at Waverly must be done but Greenwood will take a while yet so we kept going.

Any trip west of Lincoln on the Alliance line includes an obligatory stop at the bridge west of Pleasant Dale.  No westbounds but we did catch 5813 and 8749 with a coal load.   

1. and 2. BNSF 2299 and 1925 east bound a half mile or so east of Waverly
3.  BNSF 5813 and 8749 at Pleasant Dale

(more)

Date: 12/09/19 17:48
Re: A Change of Plans

4. DPU's on the coal load at Pleasant Dale were 6148 and 8793.  

We knew we were running short of time but headed on toward Seward.  We made it as far as Ruby, south of Seward, and saw 3 trains in about an hour.  First was 7215 and 4989 with a couple of flats of Komatsu construction equipment.  

5. &  6 BNSF 7215 and 4989 westbound at Ruby 

(more) 

Date: 12/09/19 17:50

7. and 8.  Then it was 5869 and 6105 with a coal load.  9156 was dpu.

(more)

Date: 12/09/19 17:51

The last shots were of 7453 and 6320 (dpu 7470) with an eastbound grain train. By then our permission slips had gone seriously beyond expiration times so we headed for home!  We'll do that again but allow more time.

Date: 12/09/19 20:12
Author: SCKP187

Nice venture.  Nice to see a local out working and the coal trains.
Brian Stevens

Date: 12/10/19 05:25
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 12/10/19 06:50
Author: Gonut1

Good set of photos! Great light and color.
Go

Date: 12/10/19 07:50
Author: ntharalson

Thanks for posting.  

Can I assume the trains with one DPU go to Iowa and the trains with two DPU's go towards Kansas City?  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 12/11/19 06:07

I am not certain but don't think that the number of dpu's has anything to do with the route.  Sorry!

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting.  
>
> Can I assume the trains with one DPU go to Iowa
> and the trains with two DPU's go towards Kansas
> City?  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Date: 12/12/19 18:07
Author: ns1000

I like Pic 4!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds