Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Stranger in town

Date: 01/11/20 12:09
Stranger in town
Author: santafe199

On my way down to Wichita on the 3rd, I made a routine pass through my old Santa Fe stomping grounds in Abilene, KS. Whereupon I discovered this Stranger in Town*. With the intelligence gathering assistance of my able compatriot ‘mg8711’ I can state this is the new engine for the Flint Hills Grain elevator complex over on the west side of town. It will be replacing old friend, EMD SW-something-or-other DBGX 2305 (nee SP 2305?). To mimic a line by the great actor Gene Hackman in the 1995 flick Crimson Tide:

Welcome to town, son! Do us proud…”

1. & 2. Strong City Sub veteran BNSF atsf 685 sits at the point of a consist-with-stranger in Abilene, KS.

3. That stranger is ex-IC 8738, now TSLX 8738 (future DBGX 8738?).
(3 photos taken January 3, 2020)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*Stranger in Town is the title of a minor Top-40 hit for the band Toto. It appeared briefly in late 1984, but is a personal favorite of mine (one of only a bazillion or so personal favorites :^). I’ve taken a snippet of the tune’s lyrics and tweaked them ever-so-slightly:

“…rolled the window down, stuck my camera out for a peek
Dressed in black a unit I didn't recognize running down my back street

DJ Sir L

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/20 12:10 by santafe199.

Date: 01/11/20 15:28
Re: Stranger in town
Author: RHicks

Come on Lance Stranger in town was also a Bob Seger album which I would listen to first before Toto.

Date: 01/11/20 22:17
Author: Brian_P

GP11

Date: 01/12/20 01:23
Author: Evan_Werkema

Couldn't have told you it was Toto, but I remember the song and video.  The dancing chalk outline was really something back in 1984.

Date: 01/12/20 02:40
Author: santafe199

Evan_Werkema Wrote: > ...  Couldn't have told you it was Toto, but ...

Hard to believe, but I don't recall ever seeing the video for Stranger in Town. I picked up on the tune because it was just one of those songs that reminded me of a 'certain girl' I never got the chance to date. She was too busy dating the guy she would marry (& eventually divorce). Toto was an interesting band. Ironically, over the years I've seen them "poo-pooed" by some people. But they were a great band, just the same. 2 other songs Toto scored big with was their debut tune Hold the Line which reached #5 in late 1978 and Rosanna which was the rock solid #2 tune in the US for 5 weeks in May of 1982. It would have been Toto's 1st #1 hit were it not for a duet called Ebony & Ivory running at the same time at #1 for 7 straight weeks, by a couple of guys named Stevie Wonder & Paul McCartney. Instead, Toto would take a poignant tune called Africa to #1 for a week later on in the fall of '82. 

The band started out as what I would call a 'side project' for a select group of highly talented session musicians in Los Angeles. Early Toto members have music credit recording with bands such as Sonny & Cher, Steely Dan, Boz Skaggs and Seals & Crofts. Toto members have also done session & collaboration work with Michael Jackson, Quincy Jones, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, The Eagles, Yes, Michael McDonald & Pink Floyd. Included in those early line-ups were: Bobby Kimball, Steve Luthaker, David Paich, brothers Steve & Jeff Porcaro and David Hungate. A 3rd Porcaro brother Mike replaced Hungate and later Kimball was replace by Fergie Fredericksen, who was in turn replaced by Joseph Williams, son of legendary conductor & film score composer John Williams. In 1988 Jeff Porcaro tragically died of a heart attack at age 38. As I recall reading, he had a violent reaction to some chemical fertilizer he was spreading on his lawn. Their final visit with Billboard's Top-40 chart came in 1988 with a bouncy tune called Pamela, which ran out of bounce at #22. After 1990 Toto continued recording & touring under various incarnations, and in 2018-2019 the band went on a 40th anniversary tour to support their album "40 Trips Around the Sun"...

DJ Sir L

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/20 04:26 by santafe199.

Date: 01/12/20 05:48
Author: SD45X

No expense spared on that paint job;)

Date: 01/12/20 12:27
Author: ntharalson

Well, they did do the handrails, but it looks like they just stenciled the lettering over the old IC paint job.   Nick Tharalson,Marion, IA

Date: 01/12/20 12:48
Author: spsniper

Wow, killer consist and shot two is wonderful with the clouds. Thanks for sharing!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0706 seconds