Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Low light or no light shots: your opinions?

Date: 03/19/20 13:42
Low light or no light shots: your opinions?
Author: rcfarewell

All,
Opinions requested!

Shot No. 1 was taken just before dawn on a recent snowy day, almost no movement on my light meter (I stlll shoot film, Provia 100). I liked the shot, what do you think?
Shot No. 2 was taken with half of the dawn sunball just showing on the horizon. Also, not much movement on the light meter, both shot at 1/250th of a sec.

Neither shot was "tweaked" using P-shop, what you see is what I got. Was it worth the effort? Your opinions, please.....

Rich Farewell

Date: 03/19/20 13:53
Re: Low light or no light shots: your opinions?
Author: callum_out

I think they're fine, my only bitch is with the all-grey, no contrast stuff that gets shot, but hey, t'aint my camera,
t'aint my experience. 

Out 

Date: 03/19/20 14:06
Author: FiestaFoamer

Love #1. I find this kind of photograph quite engaging and wish we saw more like it on here (though some of BoilingMan's Donner stuff is within this genre).

#2 is one of those where you have a great sky and in a sense great lighting, but the train doesn't really stand out; that can happen at sunset/sunrise sometimes... it has me wondering what the photo would look like if the diesels were NS rather than BNSF. 

Date: 03/19/20 14:30
Author: Bnagelcolo16

Number 1 is great! The low light gives the feeling of a cold and snowy day.
Bill

Date: 03/19/20 14:36
Author: santafe199

Good stuff on my cell. Railroading is 24/7/365, in all kinds of weather. There’s no reason why railfan photography can’t at least pay homage to that fact. Some of the best railfan photography I’ve ever seen has come without that perfect sunlight three-quarter wedgie mentality...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/19/20 14:46
Author: DynamicBrake

Rich,
I like #1 better because it has a moody feeling to it.  You feel cold looking at it.  Thanks for sharing, now I need a hot toddy.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 03/19/20 15:00
Author: wjpyper

Very nice work from an art photography standpoint. But personally, on this forum I want to see trains in as much detail as possible.
Bill Pyper, BFA
Lacey, WA

Date: 03/19/20 15:59
Author: tomstp

Gotta go for Number 1.

Date: 03/19/20 16:01
Author: TheButcherofBena

Both excellent shots.  When aren't you about due to author another book??

Date: 03/19/20 16:43
Author: rcfarewell

To all who responded:

Thanks for the comments. With individual images, it's kinda' like doing a book; you simply don't know whether you hit the mark or missed the target 'cause almost nobody says very much....I do tend toward the "artsy-fartsy" end of the spectrum, and as such I like the first photo.
But, it's so hard to tell what others find interesting. That's why I posted this thread; it gives me some insight into what others think and like to see.

Regarding another book, hell, I'm 73. I've got enough stuff for something else, but with the financial crisis we're entering into, I've really got to watch where the bucks go. But thanks for asking, and especially, thanks for responding!!!

Rich Farewell

Date: 03/20/20 05:11
Author: march_hare

I really like #1. Really impressive at ASA 100. IMHO, #2 is about 2/3 of a stop underexposed. 

Sounds like you've made a decision to not go digital (both shots would be easier, and probably sharper, with a DSLR set to ASA 1000 or so).  But have you considered push processing your Fujichrome?  I spent years shooting Fuji in 2 different camera bodies, one set at ASA 200 and one at 100.  Looking at the slides now, I can't always tell which ones were pushed and which ones weren't. The film was really that good. 

And extra film camera bodies are really cheap these days, just sayin'...

Date: 03/20/20 07:39
Author: bmarti7

Like 'em both.

BB

Date: 03/20/20 07:53
Author: mojaveflyer

The colors in #2 are nice but I think #1 is the winner. Both are nice shots, Rich!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds