Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > There's a Snake in my Photos

Date: 06/02/20 00:34
There's a Snake in my Photos
Author: funnelfan

.....Snake River that is!

1.  Chasing the CP 6644 south on the Ayer Sub, we decided to stick to the opposite side of the Snake River since the light would be on that side. From Merango we went to Windust just below the Lower Monumental Dam and in the shadow the the tall steel viaducts of the former SP&S. We just missed a northbound OT5EO and had a long wait as the southbound with the CP 6644 had to wait as Ayer for two northbounds. But when it did finally roll into view below Matthew, it was well worth it. Luckily in all my climbing rocks and hiking through the grass I didn't run into a Rattlesnake (a common problem there).

2. After a long delay due to signal issues and a congested UP Ayer Sub, BNSF's "Low Line" job escapes Page, WA for Ayer to swap interchange cars with the Great Northwest RR. Time is just after 7pm and soon the fading sun will cast shadows all the way across the Snake River.

3. Lucked into this location from a overlook above Levey Park. The train snakes along some sandy bluffs as it approaches Ash, WA. Hazy high clouds are starting to mute the sunlight.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/02/20 05:36
Re: There's a Snake in my Photos
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!  No fair, you get all the good scenery up there.  Slim pickings down here in Central, TX.

Randy Lundgren
Elgi, TX

Date: 06/02/20 05:58
Author: eljay

But central Texas has some of the best food to be found anywhere!

Date: 06/02/20 07:09
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch as always. While waiting for the newest ROCK unit to cross a bridge last week, this sizable snake was slithering along the creek that connects Swan Lake, MS, with the Little Tallahatchie River.
JB

Date: 06/02/20 08:38
Author: Ritzville

Really NICE shots along the Snake Ted! You had quite the day!

Larry

Date: 06/02/20 16:08
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 06/02/20 17:17
Author: TAW

I expected to see pictures of switchmen.

TAW

Date: 06/03/20 09:05
Author: alcoc636

We had a switchman on the SP LA Division (he started out in LA and finished up at West Colton) whose nick name was "Snake" . . . . . and he was a snake! His real name was Larry Schweigert For a time, he worked as a yardmaster during a portion of his LA years.

Tim Dickinson
La Verne, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0828 seconds