Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Low Light on the phone

Date: 06/03/20 11:35
Low Light on the phone
Author: santafe199

A couple of days ago I ventured forth and chased Uncle Pete’s Mop heritage unit down to Herington, KS where I was all but out of normal shooting sunshine. The train it was on had some station work to do, so I knew that part of my day was over. Instead of heading straight home to Manhattan I took the standard diversion up to my 2nd hometown of Abilene. If there was anything sitting around in my old Santa Fe yard there I might get some sunset color to play with.

Realizing another low light situation might be in the works I called up my buddy, the world famous “Low Light Don” to tell him what I was doing. Indeed, through modern day ‘blue tooth’ technology I was talking to Don while he was sitting right there inside my car. I still don’t how-in-the-world they make a person so tiny and then teleport him/her into my car stereo, but I’m here to tell ya: IT WORKS! Our conversation carried over as I drove into Abilene, and started shooting. I knew he couldn’t see what I was shooting, so I just gave him a sort of “play by play” broadcast of the pics I was shooting while not even getting out of the rig. To maneuver the sky color into the background I had to do a couple of 9-point turns here & there, but I got a fun series of sunset color shots. Here is an example:

1. BNSF 1759, victim of a couple of radical face-lifts, sits between jobs in Abilene, KS on June 1, 2020. A little fill-flash & some P-shop hocus pocus and there you go, Don... :^)

Thanks for phone chat!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/20 11:39 by santafe199.

Date: 06/03/20 11:44
Re: Low Light on the phone
Author: DonWinslow

Another great Lance photo.

Don Winslow
Glendora, CA
http://www.donwinslow.net/Railroads

Date: 06/03/20 12:52
Author: monaddave

Afraid I don't get out much these days, but what are the little thingys on the upper corners of the nose? 
Dave in Missoula

Date: 06/03/20 13:04
Author: santafe199

monaddave Wrote: > ...  what are the little thingys ...

I don't have a clue... The were there minus the roof paraphernalia 6 years ago when I caught this same unit leading a late #4 east of Topeka...

Bubba-loo #2

Date: 06/03/20 14:30
Author: PHall

Double roofs used to be real popular out in the desert before air conditioning.

Date: 06/03/20 18:36
Author: Gonut1

That double roof a Landing Platforms for UFOs?
Go

Date: 06/05/20 13:20
Author: UnitAlarm

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Afraid I don't get out much these days, but what
> are the little thingys on the upper corners of the
> nose? 
> Dave in Missoula

Smart Start stickers.

Date: 06/06/20 10:53
Author: chakk

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Afraid I don't get out much these days, but what
> are the little thingys on the upper corners of the
> nose? 
> Dave in Missoula

On the engnine nose itself, the upper corners have classification lights, which can usually display green or white light.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds