Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ft. Madison 7/3

Date: 07/03/20 17:27
Ft. Madison 7/3
Author: MILW86A

My brothers and I did a little road trip to Ft. Madison IA today. Went to the Fort Diner for lunch then spent about an hour trackside and nabbed a few trains.

1 WB Auto Train just after the bridge closed

2 Same train past the old Ft Madison depot now North Lee County Museum.

Date: 07/03/20 17:32
Re: Ft. Madison 7/3

3. A Southbound Coalie on the K Line 
4. Caught off guard with this EB UP monster stacker. 8139 or 8159 was the leader 
5. Same UP Train the head end going into Illnois 

Date: 07/03/20 17:36
Author: goneon66

i saw a coal train on that "k" line yesterday.  where does that line come from and do only coal trains use it?

thanks for any info..............

Date: 07/03/20 17:37

6. This was the last train, a VBLUKCK they were calling it on the radio. With some heavy horses up front(cue the Jethro Tull).

Thanks fo looking everyone.

MILW86A 

Date: 07/03/20 17:43
Author: howeld

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i saw a coal train on that "k" line yesterday. 
> where does that line come from and do only coal
> trains use it?
>
> thanks for any info..............
>
> 66

Burlington down to St Louis.

Not all coal but that is a lot of the traffic. I’ve seen a coupe manifests and grain. I was doing work with the cam on in the background last week. I saw the bridge start to open for a barge. About a minute later I heard a train blowing and looked up to see a NB manifest on the K line. My mind told me it was on the transcon because it wasn’t coal and had a second of “Oh Sh&t bridge is open” before I caught up.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/03/20 18:17
Author: goneon66

ah, from the ex-cb&q line in burlington.  i wondered where that line went to.

thanks for the info...........

Date: 07/03/20 19:37
Author: AndyBrown

Good stuff Dave.   Big consist on the UP train.  I used to not like seeing the UPs on the Santa Fe, but now consider them a welcome break from the pumpkin parade.

Andy

Date: 07/03/20 19:47
Author: MrMRL

I like that whiteface autorack first out to match up with the Whiteface NS power.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 07/03/20 20:32
Author: farmer

How much traffic does the Transcon see in 24 hours? What’s the rough breakdown between BNSF and UP?Is any time predominantly busier than normal?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/03/20 21:09
Author: Quakerengr

Believe the "K" Line is  reference to passing thru that  thriving metropolis of Keokuk, Iowa.

PWM

Date: 07/03/20 22:02
Author: SantaFeCF7

Good thing you didn’t go a day earlier. It was raining cats and dogs yesterday in Fort Madison yesterday afternoon. I left after setting for a long time and the radar showed it was going to rain for over another hour.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/04/20 08:28
Author: Q-GP30

Always watch for the WQMDMO/DMOWQM manifest, it carries power to and from RELCO in Albia, also NS traffic from Des Moines still goes down the K-Line to St.Louis.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds