Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > train tractor crash

Date: 07/28/20 08:47
train tractor crash
Author: atsfer

I see that in western Harvey county Kansas near Halstead a BNSF train hit a tractor killing the 21 year old operator and derailing the train.   How bad was the derailment I wonder I cannot find out any info from the local news sources there.

Date: 07/28/20 10:38
Re: train tractor crash
Author: ldstephey

NEWTON, Kan. (KSNW) – A train and tractor crash in Harvey County Monday afternoon resulted in the death of one person.The sheriff’s office says the victim is 21-year-old Taylor Koehn of Halstead.The crash happened around 3:15 p.m. between Burrton and Halstead.Investigators say Koehn was driving a farm tractor south on South River Park Road and was crossing the railroad tracks near Southwest 24th Street when a train hit the tractor.Koehn died at the scene.

https://www.ksn.com/news/train-tractor-crash-near-newton-claims-one-life/

The engines appear upright here:

https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/27/1-dead-after-train-collides-with-tractor-in-harvey-county/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/20 10:39 by ldstephey.

Date: 07/28/20 14:01
Author: swingnose

The 21 year old VICTIM?

Victim of his own stupidity it sounds like

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/28/20 15:36
Author: skinem

swingnose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 21 year old VICTIM?
>
> Victim of his own stupidity it sounds like
>
> Posted from iPhone
Everyone makes mistakes and everyone can't be as brilliant as you.

Date: 07/28/20 18:11
Author: junctiontower

It's not very hard to avoid a freight train........

Date: 07/29/20 00:19
Author: alally8444

Sure he should have been more careful, aware, whatever. The kid was 21, was somebody's son (maybe the farmer's whose tractor he was driving), maybe someone's husband and father. He lived in a town of a little over 2000, and his loss will undoubtably be terribly painful to everyone in it. It wouldn't hurt to have a little empathy.

Date: 07/29/20 07:03
Author: atsfer

I had the rare opportunity to talk with a man with whom I had a near miss with my train at a crossing.   We saw and recognized his truck as it approached the crossing so we were blowing the whistle like mad, he slows his truck over the tracks and we just missed him at 55 mph.   I made eye contact with him after the miss and his eyes looked as big as saucers.   A couple of days later, my crew was having breakfast at our away from home terminal, and he walked in.    We immediately jump him about the incident.  He said he saw us, but then started thinking about something else and completely zoned out as he approached the crossing.  He said he was so scared afterwards he sat for 10 minutes to quit shaking.  Being human, I can see how it can happen, getting preoccupied in a car with a radio or music playing or now with cell phones.(which were not around at the time).  
     I read a report from a crew that watched a guy talking on his cell phone drive around gates onto the tracks in front of them and was killed.   Welcome to the human race folks, cast the first stone if you want, but I won't.   I've been with operation lifesaver for 27 years now trying to make a difference.

Date: 07/29/20 07:32
Author: BAB

skinem Wrote:
> swingnose Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The 21 year old VICTIM?
> >
> > Victim of his own stupidity it sounds like
> >
> > Posted from iPhone
> Everyone makes mistakes and everyone can't be as
> brilliant as you.
And every one who thinks like you are an accident waiting to happen. A week ago near my house lady ran a stop sign t boned a car. Her answer oh didnt know the road it was new to me. Seems you are the dim bulb here.

Date: 07/29/20 08:42
Author: lapklub

It's hard now days, but I was always told to "Be aware of your surroundings".   Even if you are talking with someone "Watch where you're going"!!
When I am talking to someone on the cell phone while driving to me it does make a difference holding the phone or talking with an ear bud.  A lot of States now have laws about this.  You can't hold a phone and drive.  
When you have to hold the phone to me you loose some of what you are supposed to be doing when you have to hold it.  Plus you loose one hand holding the phone.   If you have an ear bud it's just like talking to someone sitting next to you.
You can cross the tracks 100 or more times and never see a train, but it only takes that one time when you aren't paying attention and 'oops, oh sh**!!
Mike

Date: 07/29/20 09:38
Author: skinem

BAB Wrote:
> skinem Wrote:
> -----
> > swingnose Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The 21 year old VICTIM?
> > >
> > > Victim of his own stupidity it sounds like
> > >
> > > Posted from iPhone
> > Everyone makes mistakes and everyone can't be
> as
> > brilliant as you.
> And every one who thinks like you are an accident
> waiting to happen. A week ago near my house lady
> ran a stop sign t boned a car. Her answer oh didnt
> know the road it was new to me. Seems you are the
> dim bulb here.
 Thank you, sir. Your relentless efforts here to show your expertise regarding 'dimness' have not gone unnoticed (frankly, it'd be impossible) and I'm flattered by your personal attention. Even though, I admit, it's often a bit of a challenge to sort out what you're saying. Nevertheless, great minds like yours shouldn't be fettered by such details. I cheer you on, sir...and remember-we'll leave a light on, just for you.   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0663 seconds