Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Slightly O/T: Large Fire Threatening Hanna, WY On UP's Mainline

Date: 09/05/20 22:46
Slightly O/T: Large Fire Threatening Hanna, WY On UP's Mainline
Author: mojaveflyer

A large fire has broken  out near Hanna, WY, and the town may have to be evacuated: https://bigfoot99.com/bigfoot99-news/breaking-wildfire-burning-near-hanna-triggers-evacuations/

I became aware of this because some of the fire fighting tankers were diverted from the Casper tanker base to the one at Jeffco tanker base on the north side of Denver. We had three tankers come in and load to go to the fire in Wyoming. Meanwhile in Colorado, the Cameron Peak fire is growing rapidly and forcing evacuation in northern Larimer County. 

It sounds like the rain/snow coming in Monday night - Tuesday will be greatly appreciated by the fire fighters!

Photos #1 & 2: Tanker 22, a P-3 Orion on contract to the State of Colorado approaches the airport with the smoke from the Cameron Peak fire in the background. The other shot is of Tanker 22 turning onto the active runway for another trip to Hanna. 

Thanks for looking!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/20 14:15 by mojaveflyer.

Date: 09/05/20 23:32
Re: Slightly O/T: Large Fire Threatening Hanna, WY On UP's Overla
Author: Odyssey

Thanks for sharing the info and air tanker images ... it has
been an extremely busy fire season since July in CO ...
Hopefully Hanna survives ... there are some historic structures
in the town. 

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 09/05/20 23:39
Author: pdt

Love the P-3's and Electras...

Date: 09/06/20 13:06
Author: BobP

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love the P-3's and Electras...
>
>  
I helped build the original Orion at Lockheed, Burbank, CA after the P2V (Neptune) was phased out.
Gad I'm old!!!!.

Date: 09/06/20 13:15
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the pictures.  The crews who fight fires on the ground and in the air definitely live on the razor's edge.

Date: 09/06/20 20:43
Re: Slightly O/T: Large Fire Threatening Hanna, WY On UP's Mainli
Author: ATSFSuperChief

I remember a B-29 doing drops on a fire on Whale Rock in 1974. Pilot came in brushing the tree tops with a huge siren blowing loud as we firefighters hit the ground facing the airplane holding our helmets on tight.
That was the first fire on Whale Rock, second one was in the 2002 and the last one was part of the High Park Fire that burned us out as the areas of Whale Rock and Davis Ranch were not fought by the people in charge of the fire.

Don Allender

Date: 09/06/20 22:34
Re: Slightly O/T: Large Fire Threatening Hanna, WY On UP's Mainli
Author: dan

not much to burn around hanna that i have seen, ground cover mostly

Date: 09/07/20 12:14
Author: jmbreitigan

BobP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pdt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Love the P-3's and Electras...
> >
> >  
> I helped build the original Orion at Lockheed,
> Burbank, CA after the P2V (Neptune) was phased
> out.
> Gad I'm old!!!!.
When I reported to NAS Norfolk, VA. in 1965, VP-24 & VP-56 were still using the P2V Neptunes. I know I am old  lol.
John

Date: 09/07/20 18:31
Author: mojaveflyer

I  mss the Neptunes as well. This was shot in June, 2012 working a fire out of Metro Airport in Broomfield. Really neat planes with the big round engines and turbo jets under the wing!

Photo #1- Tanker 48 departs Metro Airport, June 10, 2012 working the High Park Fire.

Photo #2- Tanker 48 departs Metro Airport Airport with the High Park Fire in the distance.

Very cool planes! Thanks for your service.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/20 18:32 by mojaveflyer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0772 seconds