Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > I Layed Off Work For This Train

Date: 09/12/20 12:41
I Layed Off Work For This Train
Author: CNW8531

It's November 17th of 2017, and word was already out that the CP was running a business train to Kansas City using they're four F units for power.  That's the good news.  The bad news was the weather sucked and I was scheduled to be working this day.  I remedied the working part by taking a PL day the night before.  Hey, wouldn't anybody for 4 F units in this day and age?  I couldn't do much about the weather though.  Just go out and shoot anyway, you have to.  I gave up a round trips pay for this train but I don't regret it one bit.  I'll probably never see these F's again, at least not all four together.  And basically right in my own back yard so to speak.  So yes, it was all worth it.  And I'd do it all again, too!  Oh wait, I don't have to now as I'm retired!

The first shot is the train coming into LeClaire, Iowa.  The next two are in Davenport as the weather got even darker.  Just boost up the ASA and blast away!!

Date: 09/12/20 12:45
Re: I Layed Off Work For This Train
Author: goneon66

i used to "lay-off" if the wind changed directions and sure would have to see those f-units in person.

great catch..............

Date: 09/12/20 13:33
Author: krm152

Definitely nice photos and worth taking off for.
ALLEN

Date: 09/12/20 14:13
Author: mundo

Thanks for posting.

Date: 09/12/20 19:29
Author: dcmkris

Great PIC's & decision to take off.

Trains run in all weather so I go out in all weather for them.

Have a video of CSX F40 business train going thru the Port Huron, MI to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada tunnel. 
Well actually they were heading EB but while it went thru at around 2 or 3 PM. I was the only one there in
the freezing cold & close to 6" of snow IIRC. A normal 1 hour drive took me 3 at least but it was worth it!

Also caught the Acadian passenger train complete set cars & engines going by the back side of MI Central
Station when it was being delivered. If you saw the PICs way back then online on Railpace web site those
were mine.

Kris

Date: 09/12/20 21:56
Author: AndyBrown

Excellent photos even with the crappy weather.  I WAS working when that train ran, both directions no less.  There was a time when I'd call in sick to shoot a train, but now that I'm older and wiser (debatable), those days are gone.  I can't complain; life's been pretty good to me!

Andy

Date: 09/12/20 23:33
Author: RRBMail

Boy, sure brought back great memories of my short stint on the CPR! I told those guys when they re-painted the first F's that they would look better with the script lettering as used on their Beaver nose logos. I'm happy the message got through with the second batch. Now CPR should try their script lettering in white on their red freighters-- more historic and more dynamic.  

Date: 09/13/20 07:28
Author: cabman

Those are real treasures, Angus.  Do you know if these f units are still in existence?  Don't see any shots of them anymore.

Date: 09/13/20 09:51
Author: CNW8531

cabman Wrote:
  Do you know if
> these f units are still in existence?  Don't see
> any shots of them anymore.

I think they are still around.  Two of those four F units made another trip through our area in October of 2019.  There was an SD90 rebuild on the point, but the F's were trailing and there nonetheless.  I think they just come out on special assignments only.  Thanks for looking!

Date: 09/13/20 09:54
Author: texchief1

Those are nice shots of the Fs!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 09/13/20 15:19
Author: ns1000

Pic 1 is my favorite!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0686 seconds