Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > K&O runs to Towner, CO

Date: 09/14/20 14:54
K&O runs to Towner, CO
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Good afternoon.

Searching the archive, it looks like the K&O has been running to Towner, CO a fair amount in the past few months.  Are operations frequent enough to be on any specific days, or is this purely "as needed?"  I would assume (but certainly know where that can get me) the trains that go to Towner are based out of Scott City, KS?  Looking at the distance of roughly 60 miles, that might be a bit of a stretch for a turn job in a single day.  Are the runs recrewed or is it a tie down where they finish then drive back there tomorrow type of run?

I appreciate any insights offered from our members in the area and those who have visited in recent months as this formerly dormant trackage again sees some traffic.

Mike Derrick

Date: 09/14/20 16:57
Re: K&O runs to Towner, CO
Author: cvrhoghead

they have been running to towner for years, depends on how much grain is out there, and the price from rail or truck. Most of the old MP track is 30 mph, so depending on work out, depends on how far they get.

Date: 09/14/20 18:30
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Engineer has reportedly been asked to move out there ( camper trailer ? ) and when I last followed the line in 1997 it was 25 mph until they got to the CWR laid by the MoP years before. Last time I looked at it the rail had a lot  of 'spalling' on it but they have put a lot of ties in during the past 12 months too. They took 75 empty hoppers out two weeks ago.

Date: 09/14/20 20:08

I appreciate the reply, and I know you know the deal.  So if that's the case, what is all the hype about with the Towner line?  I thought it was a BFD there was anything going on west of Scott City.  Is that not the case?  If so, is the BFD when Colorado Pacific finally makes it to NA Junction and things are back in service to the west?

cvrhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they have been running to towner for years,
> depends on how much grain is out there, and the
> price from rail or truck. Most of the old MP track
> is 30 mph, so depending on work out, depends on
> how far they get.

Date: 09/14/20 20:13
Author: SD45X

Think so. It's as needed.
Building a siding at NA Jct now. To tired to post. They hope to send a unit train west instead of East.

That Line has been in turmoil after A& K tried to scrap it "illegally" like another branch line nearby.
Kinda like a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

Date: 09/15/20 06:09
Author: AndyBrown

ShortlinesUSA Wrote:
> I appreciate the reply, and I know you know the
> deal.  So if that's the case, what is all the
> hype about with the Towner line?  I thought it
> was a BFD there was anything going on west of
> Scott City.  Is that not the case? 

The big deal was the opening of the line west of there (Towner), to interchange with whatever RR (sorry, not up to date and having trouble following on Google) ties in on the west end.  My friend Russ and I were out there last year and there was a track crew working in Eads, opening up the crossings in preparation for service to re-start.

Unfortunately we were there on a weekend, but did see 2 trains tied down on line, and it appeared that they did indeed just park where they died and cab home.  One was west of Dighton (photo 1) and the other on the east side of Scott City (photo 2).

I'm not familiar with K&O operations but it didn't appear to us that Scott City was any kind of terminal; I got the impression that they just operate as far as they can then die, and either bring another crew out, or start again the next day.

Would love to make another trip out there and get something operating, but it was a fascinating line to follow even when dormant.

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/20 06:10 by AndyBrown.

Date: 09/15/20 14:52

Good info, and thanks for including the nice photos, Andy.  You answered what I didn't realize I was asking.  I didn't realize anything was in service west of Towner.

Mike

Date: 09/15/20 17:18
Author: SD45X

They've been to Haswell a few times already:)
Track is 25mph to NA Jct.
MLW 420 still parked at Ordway

Date: 09/15/20 19:09

Thanks for more good info!

Date: 09/15/20 22:10
Author: NWRail

Are those signals out of service?  The one on the left looks like the access doors to get to the back side of the light bulb housings are open.  Also, I don't see any opposing signals on the other tracks.  I hope that crew knew the switch was lined against them!

Date: 09/16/20 11:09
Author: AndyBrown

NWRail Wrote:
> Are those signals out of service? 

Yes.  Many, many signals still standing but no longer working along the old MOP out there.

Andy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds