Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A blinking good time at East Davis


Date: 10/09/20 19:33
A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: steph62850

The two eastbound mainline signals at East Davis (Davis, California) were having a blinkfest around 10:15 this morning.  Any ideas about the dispatcher's intentions?

Stephanie Ann

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!




Date: 10/09/20 19:36
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: coach

Are they now using LED bulbs in those things?  I remember the slower, softer lights flashing...



Date: 10/09/20 20:04
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: SantaFeRuss

The DS has both tracks lined up.basicly a "clear" or a"limited clear"  indication on some railroads.

SantaFeRuss



Date: 10/09/20 20:12
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: sphogger

Those are intermediate block signals not controlled by the dispatcher.  Advance Approach to CP Webster. 

sphogger



Date: 10/09/20 20:34
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: SantaFeRuss

sphogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are intermediate block signals not
> controlled by the dispatcher.  Advance Approach
> to CP Webster. 
>
> sphogger

Thanks for the correction on dispatcher controled signals. They are intermidiates. Maybe "advance approch" hear but on some railroads these would be "limited clear". On most railroads  "advance approach" be flashing yellow over red or just flashing yellow.

SantaFeRuss



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/20 21:41 by SantaFeRuss.



Date: 10/09/20 20:55
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: sphogger

Someone else will jump in on types of signaling.  I'm curious myself about those two signals being apparently continuously lit.  In the SP days intermediates were approach lit only with a train in the block.  Things have changed with PTC!

sphogger. 



Date: 10/09/20 21:52
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: YoungOldHead

With PTC I've seen block signals light up anywhere from six to eight miles in advance of a train s arrival. My guess is it has something to do with the signal "talking" to PTC. Maybe somone with some signal dept. knowledge could enlighten us. 



Date: 10/09/20 22:32
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: RailFanAZ

YoungOldHead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With PTC I've seen block signals light up anywhere
> from six to eight miles in advance of a train s
> arrival. My guess is it has something to do with
> the signal "talking" to PTC. Maybe somone with
> some signal dept. knowledge could enlighten us. 

Same here on the UP Gila Sub.   Ever since PTC was Installed and Running, all the signals now come on usually 6 miles ahead of the train when it used to be 2 miles ahead.

Christi Rossi
RailFanning UP & BNSF In CA, AZ
RailFanAZ.com



Date: 10/10/20 01:02
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: pdt

Advance approach. next signal will be solid yellow, one after that red.

as for approach lit....there could be trains on the circuit before the signal on both tracks.



Date: 10/10/20 08:13
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: bnsf6606

Has nothing to do with PTC...things have changed in general since SP days...that railroad was absorbed into Union Pacific in 1996!  Twenty-four years ago!  

sphogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone else will jump in on types of signaling.
>  I'm curious myself about those two signals being
> apparently continuously lit.  In the SP days
> intermediates were approach lit only with a train
> in the block.  Things have changed with PTC!
>
> sphogger. 



Date: 10/10/20 08:29
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: czuleget

That's system was flashing last night just like that for a UP Short local going east on the west track.  I forget which ones number one and two there.



Date: 10/10/20 10:19
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: portlander

bnsf6606 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has nothing to do with PTC...things have changed
> in general since SP days...that railroad was
> absorbed into Union Pacific in 1996!  Twenty-four
> years ago!  
>
> sphogger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Someone else will jump in on types of
> signaling.
> >  I'm curious myself about those two signals
> being
> > apparently continuously lit.  In the SP days
> > intermediates were approach lit only with a
> train
> > in the block.  Things have changed with PTC!
> >
> > sphogger. 

Interesting, since it started (where I worked on the UP Valley Sub) when PTC was installed and only happened when PTC was activated. Maybe it's changed in the last few years.



Date: 10/10/20 11:02
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: RailFanAZ

bnsf6606 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has nothing to do with PTC...things have changed
> in general since SP days...that railroad was
> absorbed into Union Pacific in 1996!  Twenty-four
> years ago!  
>


May not have anything to do with PTC, but out here once it was Installed/Activated is when the signals' logic was changed on when they light up.  

Christi Rossi
RailFanning UP & BNSF In CA, AZ
RailFanAZ.com



Date: 10/10/20 12:19
Re: A blinking good time at East Davis
Author: Railbaron

Up here in Oregon if I drive between Eugene and Albany I always drive on Highway 99 paralleling the SP/UP mainline (I hate I-5). I often see signals lit up even though no trains are anywhere in the area regardless of distance. I have also seen them lit and then go out for no reason also. They never did this before PTC so this must have something to do with PTC.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.068 seconds