Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Nother Norden Roll-by

Date: 11/13/20 17:46
A Nother Norden Roll-by
Author: BoilingMan

It looked like the weather up at the summit was going to be pretty good (read: bad) today, so I followed this EB up and shot him approaching the searchlights and shed at Norden.  Not a huge amount of snow, but enough for wintery photos and plenty of bumper car action out on I-80.
SR

Date: 11/13/20 18:27
Re: A Nother Norden Roll-by
Author: SCUfoamer

Seems like most of the snow melted during the week, and now it is coming back down again. Are you expecting snow at Dutch Flat?

Date: 11/13/20 18:44

No, just rain here. When I drove up, around noon, there was no chain control and I didn’t get into show until about Cisco or Troy. This is when driving Donner quickly gets dangerous- just before chain control is called. So I tucked in behind a semi doing about 45mph. Sure enough, drivers began launching off on impromptu off-road adventures. As I exited at Soda Springs a big rig just ahead went sideways- Ye-Ha!
SR

Date: 11/14/20 14:45
Author: JamesSchlinger

Really like the going away shot. Captures the essence of a wet, dreary November day at Norden. 

Date: 11/14/20 16:36
Author: WAF

On snow, 35 is it for speed. Any faster, no matter what drive your vehicle has, you will begin to fishtail in the slush or heavy snow. 40 years of experience in snow

Date: 11/15/20 20:26
Author: WoodrowStool

These are both great, but the second shot is Hall of Fame / screen wallpaper material.

Question: when you are up on the hill photographing trains (I realize you live in the neighborhood), do you just go up there and spend several hours, hoping you see some interesting trains in interesting places, or do you have some idea of whatever schedule the freights run on?  I realize Amtrak is much easier to track and be in the right place when they come through.

Love your photos, thanks for taking them and sharing them.  I used to think your photos were worthy of a calendar, I'm thinking coffee table book now.

Date: 11/15/20 21:21

Thank you!
More often than not, I have the shot in mind when I leave the house- sometimes they work out, sometimes not. This one kinda worked- I had actually planned this one for a WB.
As for trains, I can see them from the house, or track them on my laptop- a program a friend recently installed. No, I’m afraid the trains don’t follow any kind of schedule or much of a pattern.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds