Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Passing of Mike Condren

Date: 11/21/20 13:46
Passing of Mike Condren
Author: gbmott

Sad news of the passing of Mike Condren this morning from complications of COVID-19.  Mike grew up in Van Buren, AR, across the river from me.  We were in the same class and knew each other well.  Mike in later life was well-known for his Condrenrails.com.  Mike was particularly devoted to the SLSF and it's ironic that he should die on the day which, forty years ago, the Frisco died.  Mike was a good guy and will be missed.

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/20 01:54 by gbmott.

Date: 11/21/20 14:41
Re: Passing of Mike Condren
Author: ironmtn

This is sad news indeed. My condolences to Mike's family and friends. While we never met, I have referred to his website on numerous occasions as a research resource, and always found it useful. He made a fine contribution to our hobby through his extensive photography of mid-South railways, and his Frisco material in particular. Reviewing the content on his website, and knowing of a few background stories, he seemed like a person you would want to get to know, and whose friendship would be one you would treasure. The railfan knowledge, photos and stories would be the icing on the cake.

And thank you, Gordon, for letting us know this sad news. His contributions will be missed.

MC

Date: 11/21/20 17:54
Author: santafe199

Sad news indeed! I occasionally traded slides with Mike in the late 70s. Good stuff! And a good guy...

Lance Garrels

Date: 11/21/20 18:08
Author: oyw

Very sorry to hear, Mike's photographic work is legendary. Sincerest thoughts to his family, may he rest in peace.

Date: 11/22/20 03:58
Author: Hookdragkick

His photography has been invaluable to many of us. Thanks for putting in the time, rest in peace now. ✌

Posted from Android

Date: 11/22/20 06:47
Author: txspec1

Mike went to school at the University of Missouri at Rolla.  I did too and although I did not know him was a contemporary of his at the school. I was a Frisco fan too and many of his pictures are at locations very familiar to me.  I met the Daily Oklahoman (11:10 am westbound and 5:20 pm eastbound) many times before it was discontinued in May of 1967.  He had some great shots of Dixon Hill-a site which I explored many times.   On his web site he had some great depot photos. One is of Crocker, MO.  My grandparents lived there and I deboarded from the Will Rogers at that depot many times.  Also a picture at Richland MO where the depot agent was the father of a friend of mine.  Mike contributed greatly to our hobby.  It is sad to see him taken by the terrible virus that plagues our land.  Farewell fellow Miner.  

Date: 11/22/20 07:41
Author: ntharalson

Not a good fall for good railfans.  I knew Mike slightly and his death, with the earlier death of his good friend J. David Ingles, has put a decided pall on this fall.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 11/22/20 17:09
Author: needles_sub

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not a good fall for good railfans.  I knew Mike
> slightly and his death, with the earlier death of
> his good friend J. David Ingles, has put a decided
> pall on this fall.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Over 250,000 deaths puts a decided pall on this fall for many families.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/23/20 07:34
Author: kevink

txspec1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike went to school at the University of Missouri
> at Rolla.  I did too and although I did not know
> him was a contemporary of his at the school. I was
> a Frisco fan too and many of his pictures are at
> locations very familiar to me.  

I was wondering that as I perused the Frisco photos on his site. Lots of shots around Rolla that I am familiar with having attended UMR myself (BS Civil Engineering 1990). I see he spent some time along the bluffs over the Gasconade River west of Jerome, MO too.

RIP Mike and my sympathies to his family and friends.

Date: 11/24/20 18:07
Author: Arkrail

I had known Mike Condren by his reputation and his photography for a few years before actually meeting him.  When we were writing the history of the Dardanelle & Russellville Railroad, Mike was one of two people we asked to review the manuscript before publication.  Later, when there was general consensus that the rail history of Memphis had been woefully ignored, Mike created the Memphis Railroad History website which allowed many of us to contribute information, photographs and scans of Memphis related material. That site remains perhaps the best source for Memphis rail history on the web, a legacy to his interest and willingness to take the time to make it happen.  Later, after moving to Oklahoma, Mike develped similar websites for Fort Smith and Van Buren, the Midland Valley and several other regional roads and of course his favorite home road, the Frisco.  Our hobby and railroad history is better because of Mike's involvement, and he will be missed.  Our condolences to his wife and family.
Bill Pollard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds