Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Derailment Coalca OR

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/06/21 05:31
UP Derailment Coalca OR
Author: OrionRail

No online news stories or very much info about it yet, but there has been a significant derailment on the UP Brooklyn Sub at Coalca. Photos shown in a blurb on KOIN 6 showed accordioned centerbeams, and mentioned that no hazmat releases occurred.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/06/21 06:07
Re: UP Derailment Coalca OR
Author: SlideSellerII

Date: 01/06/21 07:37
Author: EMDSW-1

MPDWC-05 hit a large tree just south of the south switch Coalca at a place called "New Era" derailing three units and around ten cars mostly centerbeams of lumber. Derailment may have impacted a small bridge which could complicate service restoration.

OPR will not be impacted short-term as our service is based out of Salem to the south but next week's car supply could be impacted if traffic now north of the derailment doesn't make it to Salem by the weekend.

Engineer sustained minor injuries and was treated at the scene...won't know more until the sun comes up!

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad

Date: 01/06/21 07:57
Author: Valleyman

Is it plausible that the UP could detour the ZLATC over to the CORP in Eugene for the run into Portland. Would imagine if the bridge did receive damage it could take awhile to repair. 

Valleyman

Date: 01/06/21 08:15
Author: wingomann

Do you mean using the P&W up the old OE line?  It seems like a possible way to reroute traffic.
It would be cool if they used the westside line over Rex Hill but that is highly unlikely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/21 09:28 by wingomann.

Date: 01/06/21 09:35
Author: OrionRail

Westside District would require a switchback in Corvallis to move from the Toledo District. OE would require either using the United Railways District and its two tunnels (unsure of the clearances), or a switchback in Tigard to get on the Willsburg District. 

Date: 01/06/21 09:49
Author: dendroica

There is a wye in Corvallis to avoid the switchback manoeuvre.  Very hard to imagine stacks headed that way though, and likely clearance issues with bridge trusses and underpasses.

Date: 01/06/21 09:57
Author: wjpyper

Picture

Date: 01/06/21 10:12
Author: koloradokid

dendroica Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a wye in Corvallis to avoid the
> switchback manoeuvre.  Very hard to imagine
> stacks headed that way though, and likely
> clearance issues with bridge trusses and
> underpasses.

There is a direct connection from the UP to the OE line in Albany.  But the OE has a lot of 10 mph segements, and the P&W likely wouldn't have enough crews to pilot that many trains.  Better bet is turning right at Chemult and go up the Oregon Trunk.  Alas, this line can't handle double stacks and the juntion with the main line is going the wrong way for anything that needs to go east.

Robert

Date: 01/06/21 10:28
Author: Graybeard1942

Date: 01/06/21 11:47
Author: funnelfan

Figured this was bound to happen eventually. It's a long time gripe of mine that railroads allow these trees to grow up over the tracks and then every time there is a storm, the tracks are littered with branches and trees. Really need to clear the right of way, especially on Amtrak routes.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/06/21 12:20
Author: Coalca

Wife snapped a photo driving by.

Date: 01/06/21 14:35
Author: MarionLinn

UP estimates 2 a.m. Friday for reopening the line to traffic. 

Date: 01/06/21 17:40

As of 1600 hrs today the third locomotive has been rerailed and all three being moved south by the Salem switcher. Most of the day was spent mobilizing both Rick Franklin's and Hulcher's crews and unloading lumber from the numerous centerbeams involved

The bridge mentinned in my previous post was involved and two cars can be seen handing precariously in the air which may have to be unloaded prior to movement. Hopefully any damage to the bridge won't impact reopening of the line. A flatbed trailer was spotted parked south of the derailment site containing four (of many needed) track panels and the 6700 tamper is at Canby.

Not starting out as a good year for UP but same can't be said for Hulcher and Franklin!

Dick Samuels

Date: 01/06/21 19:12
Author: SPBrooklyn

Here are some snapshots a friend sent me. I normally would have taken a few myself as I live in the area but circumstances prohibited me.
Also, please forgive any posting glitches as this is my first time posting photos.

Date: 01/06/21 19:45

SPBrooklyn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are some snapshots a friend sent me. I
> normally would have taken a few myself as I live
> in the area but circumstances prohibited me.
> Also, please forgive any posting glitches as this
> is my first time posting photos.

You did just fine at posting! The first picture clearly illustrates the precarious position of the two derailed cars on the bridge and the third holding the second from overturning. The far one is partially on the bridge.

Dick Samuels

Date: 01/07/21 08:11
Author: Roadrailer

I was trying to figure out the house in the background so I went looking at Google Satellite and Street Maps and found this derailment happened in the yard of Rel-e-vent Buildings, a home buildiner converting containers into "beautiful, affordable, UBC compliant, and ... Sustainable" hoising.
Too bad it wasnt an intermodal as they could have gotten delivery to their doorsteps

Date: 01/07/21 12:39
Author: SPBrooklyn

It doesn't appear that it hit the shop from the photos but does anybody know if it hit those houses in the back on the other side of the tracks.( I personally THINK they are model homes but they are kinda close to the track.)

Date: 01/07/21 16:43
Author: NYCLV

ZLATC waits in the Eugene yard.

Date: 01/07/21 19:02
Author: Lodholzbros

It didn’t, the locomotives stopped just about in front of them best I can tell. Another 250’ and they would have been toast!

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds