Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Snow DOG at Alta Vista

Date: 02/15/21 10:09
Snow DOG at Alta Vista
Author: santafe199

Earlier this month I got a heads-up from “mg8711” interesting enough to get me outta the safe, warm & friendly confines of my railfan scan-cave. It was snowing pretty hard, coming down in dry, powdery clumps AND a train was on the way. Perfect, right?

Wrong! ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5192436 ). We picked a good spot. However, the great train-swirling-up-snow shot didn’t quite materialize because the “star of the show” was traveling through a 25MPH(?) slow order.

Plan B: There were 2 WB trains out of Kansas City headed for Herington via the GSR just 25 miles to the south. And the 2nd train had Uncle Pete’s Armed Forces unit #1943 on point. So I headed for the Sea St overpass down at Alta Vista while my partner head for a spot further east. Alas, once again I was “hounded” by my bad location choice. The first train up Alta Vista Hill was a real DOG

1. 2. & 3. UP 7475 is crawling S-L-O-W-L-Y up grade on the Alta Vista hill with a rather sizable manifest. From when I first spotted the headlight way back yonder I had more than ample time to get drunk, go through a spin-dry program & be sober by the time the lead unit was right underneath me at the Sea St overpass. This 1x1 Canine of a train musta been 3 or 4 miles long. Woof! It sure seemed like it. It had quit snowing, anyhow…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 10:09 by santafe199.

Date: 02/15/21 10:13
Re: Snow DOG at Alta Vista
Author: King_Coal

Nice angle. Cold day to be standing on a bridge with the wind whistling thru the britches.

Date: 02/15/21 10:13

I’m already late for my own funeral, so why not hang around for some DP action…

4. Seven minutes AFTER image #3 UP 7904 is the faithful DP unit.
(4 photos taken February 6, 2021 at Alta Vista, KS)

Maybe if I scoot over the the other side of the apex of AV Hill I’ll get a faster train speed. Indeed, I arrived in Dwight just in time to shoot this train at a much higher speed. But the accumulated snow was to thin to matter. Did I get the AF 1943 unit, you ask? Yeah… sorta: ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5192805 ).

Shooting in snow used to be a lot easier
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 02/15/21 10:31
Author: jatlmv

Wasn't By-tor with the Snow Dog ?  (classic rock reference)

Date: 02/15/21 10:57

jatlmv Wrote: > ... rock reference ...

Aha, I had to go Googling around. The 1975 Fly by Night album, which don't have in my iTunes library or on vinyl. Obscure to me, but then I'm not very well versed on early Rush. The notes do say this was drummer extraordinaire Neal Peart's 1st appearance in the trio...

DJ Sir L

Date: 02/15/21 12:37
Author: texchief1

Really like No. 2, Lance!

RC Lundgren

Date: 02/15/21 12:58
Author: Ritzville

texchief1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really like No. 2, Lance!
>
>
>
> RC Lundgren

I'll second that!!

Larry

Date: 02/15/21 14:00
Author: SN711

The various colors are great in the second shot.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/16/21 00:44
Author: pbouzide

Might've been a dog in the velocity department, but it photographed quite nicely, so at least the effort is appreciated.

I love seeing any GSR action.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds