Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Several CN "Cowl" body Dash 8's lately...

Date: 02/24/21 01:21
Several CN "Cowl" body Dash 8's lately...
Author: Texican65

Ah...what a group of survivors these are, the C40-8M. NOT...very many of these left ANYWHERE....let alone on the BNSF system. Makes sense to have them though I guess...with all the BNSF power that's been returned to the lesser or put into storage....they're short on power. And it certainly must be cheaper to borrow a locomotive from somebody else than it is to maintain and run your own. Who knows....but for what-ever reason...there's a group of about 3 of these "cowl" Dash 8's running back and forth between B.C. and Seattle, and Seattle to Chicago. We've had one of them in particular, the CN 2402, a couple times for trailing power in the consist. No chance to put one on the point, as they are not equipped with PTC. Hopefully they continue to materialize, and will stay with us for quite awhile...until their next mechanical failure anyways.

Anyways...here's the limelight on a rare locomotive these days.

Date: 02/24/21 01:24
Re: Several CN "Cowl" body Dash 8's lately...
Author: Texican65

Another train with the same Dash 8...

Date: 02/24/21 02:05
Author: MrMRL

Great views. Plese bless us with any more angles you happen to catch in the future. These are indeed rare birds with seriously limited lifespans left in them. In a few years (or less), you (and the rest of us) will be greatful for the few images you captured of them while in serivce!

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 02/24/21 02:23
Author: needles_sub

Looks like the SD-70Ace in the third photo has new wheels on all six axles.

Date: 02/24/21 08:11
Author: eburli

It was in Columbia Falls, MT on February 12th. Sorry for the ties. It was siting as the rear DPU behind the ties.

Date: 02/24/21 08:56
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 02/24/21 09:08
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!! I've lately had several Cowls roll thru the backyard.

Larry

Date: 02/24/21 09:53
Author: inCHI

That is really interesting to see these are on BNSF too. I just put a post up of a backlog of February CN photos, and a theme is that C40-8M's have lately become regular power in the main road freight on the Freeport Sub. When they scrapped a bunch last year, I never thought months later I'd be seeing them several times a week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/21 09:53 by inCHI.

Date: 02/24/21 10:36
Author: funnelfan

It's kind odd, There is lots of CN power on the BNSF right now, to the point it seems every other train has a CN unit. But I've been seeing a lot of BNSF power coming off the CP heading down UP's Ayer Sub.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/24/21 19:58
Author: inCHI

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's kind odd, There is lots of CN power on the
> BNSF right now, to the point it seems every other
> train has a CN unit. But I've been seeing a lot of
> BNSF power coming off the CP heading down UP's
> Ayer Sub.

In that CN thread I posted today, I didn't post all of the pictures with part or entirely BNSF power sets on CN trains because I thought they would get redudant.

Date: 02/25/21 15:26
Author: The-late-EMD

They have showing up in the California central Valley on grain trains from north of the border also.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0545 seconds