Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "Chicagohenge" Rail Style

Date: 03/20/21 21:03
"Chicagohenge" Rail Style
Author: kevink

Every spring and fall equinox brings a host of media stories about "Chicagohenge"  in the Loop. For a or two, the rising and setting sun lines up with the east-west city streets. Returning from my day trip to Iowa today, I realized we would be home about 30 minutes before sunset giving me time to drop the family off and head over to the Westmont Metra station. Here are three photos of the sunset with the the BNSF signal cantilever providing some additional interest.

Date: 03/20/21 21:04
Re: "Chicagohenge" Rail Style

Nothing to see here 🙄

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/21 23:04 by kevink.

Date: 03/20/21 21:07

Metra 122 was pushing that eastnound Metra train in the first image. I hung around for its westbound counterpart. The iPhone 11 does a pretty good jon with low light as long as the subject, Metra 193 in this case,  is not moving. 

Date: 03/20/21 21:33
Author: phthithu

Awesome work. Have a similar situation in San Francisco in the aptly named Sunset District. Forgot to go out there this year. I think it's too late now. 

Date: 03/20/21 21:35
Author: czephyr17

Great images! For some reason, the old CB&Q phrase “Everywhere West” popped into my head when I saw the second image. Reflections of the bright orange setting sun off the sides of stainless steel Zephyrs and commuter trains heading west out of Chicago was almost as emblematic to the Burlington as the Marlboro Man to that brand of cigarettes.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/21 22:51
Author: IC1038west

Great trifecta in images 1-3. What better therapy than to get a sunset incorporating a 1,2,3-R,Y,G to close an evening on the east end of "everywhere west". Thank you so much for your captures.

Date: 03/21/21 01:23
Author: ghemr

Excellent photos!

Date: 03/21/21 07:26
Author: Quakerengr

Image 5 with Metra 193,  note the engineer is looking in his mirror awaiting the conductor's wave, for the inevitable  "Highball".   Brings back memories.
Wonderful series!  Thanks Kevin.

PWM

Date: 03/21/21 09:51
Author: TAW

Over five ddecades ago, I got off a westbound dinky at La Grange Road right at sunset. The sky was deep red like your pictures and the sun was rignt on the horizon and centered on Main 2. Unfortunately, in those days, carrying around a camera of any sort all the time wasn't practical, so as much as I wished upon a star, I have no picture. Your pictures took me, for a few minutes, back to getting off the dinky and seeing the sun set over Main 2.

TAW

Date: 03/22/21 16:11
Author: ns1000

NIICE..!!

Date: 03/22/21 17:55

PWM and TAW, I'm glad these images evoked pleasant memories for you. I have similar memories from my thirty years of commuting on the BNSF (BN before that). 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds