Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Modoc/Goose Lake update

Date: 04/03/21 21:09
Modoc/Goose Lake update
Author: GCCIteacher

I took a trip up the Modoc today and observed the following from south to north.

Modoc first-

All center beams in Alturas (at one point in excess of 200) are now gone. The yard was empty except for the Goose Lake set out and 4 bad ordered cars kept on the north end stub track

The 30 cement hoppers stored at Canby are still there

The 85 or so stored box cars at Perez are now gone too…..

I saw no signs of any track work being performed

Goose Lake –

I arrived in Alturas at about 915AM and caught the GL backing into the yard off the wye with #106. To be here this early meant they left Lakeview around 4AM. They backed into a string of loads and coupled up making  a train of 34 cars ( 9 chip, 7 Center beams and 18 covered hoppers). I spoke with a crewman and was told GL is making two trips per week to Alturas now which is why the set out for UP is so large ( I remember years ago Lake County coming to Alturas with one center beam and one chip car). Business is very robust right now.

The crewman said they were going to hook up to GL Y614(which had been left there) , tie up and drive back to Lakeview. At some point today the UP is to arrive and set out empties and pick up the GL loads (hope they bring two units or they  are doubling Canby Hill) I was told GL would drive back tomorrow and pick up the empties and return to Lakeview.

I do not know if UP is turning Alturas or laying over .

As an FYI construction on the Red Rock Bio-Fuel  refinery is currently suspended (I cannot get a straight answer as to why)  but seeing a couple of tank cars mixed in with the trains later this year is not looking promising

Date: 04/03/21 21:31
Re: Modoc/Goose Lake update
Author: jbwest

Thanks for a good update.

JBWX

Date: 04/03/21 23:25
Author: TCnR

Good info, just hearing the GL makes the run in one day is news.
The bio-jet fuel thing sounds ominous, money invested but no production.

Date: 04/04/21 06:35
Author: zr1rob

I spoke with a crewman and was told GL is making two trips per week to Alturas now which is why the set out for UP is so large

how many trips per week were they making before?

Date: 04/04/21 10:09
Author: GCCIteacher

Date: 04/04/21 10:38
Author: SPB

Can you estimate how far along the refinery construction has progressed?  Anywhere near completion?  In any case, there must be a large investment already made.

Gerry

Date: 04/04/21 11:53
Author: cbk

Here is a link to the construction camera at the Lakeview bio fuel plant:
https://www.redrockbio.com/lakeview-site/

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/04/21 12:04
Author: callum_out

Jet biofuel is becoming a major "thing", assuming the plant starts producing the market will be there. GL has gotten funds for track work,
assume they've been spending it. Some good traffic potential up there, be interesting to see if UP hangs on to the line and how soon 3
days a week becomes normal for the GL. There's also a major lithium deposit South and East of town, might finally wake up Lakeview!

Out 

Date: 04/04/21 15:53
Author: Graybeard1942

Thanks for the update!

Date: 04/04/21 22:50
Author: EricSP

According to articles from mid-February Red Rock is waiting on equipment to arrive. I don't know if that is still the case.

Has any of the equipment for the plant been shipped by rail? I know when the ethanol plant in Goshen, CA was built they received a lot of equipment by rail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0697 seconds