Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Switch Tender, Jackson MS Q

Date: 05/14/21 18:56
Switch Tender, Jackson MS Q
Author: BobE

At Switch Tender in Jackson, Mississippi, are there connecting tracks that allow something on CN to get on KCS/vice versa? If not, what has to be eminent domained/demolished to give room for such connecting tracks? TIA,

BobE

Date: 05/14/21 19:38
Re: Switch Tender, Jackson MS Q
Author: SCAX3401

The Kansas City Southern line crosses the Canadian National thru a series of crossovers and no via a diamond.  Until recently all the switches were hand-thrown, but now it all under dispatcher control via CTC.  Since the eastbound KCS main turns south to cross over the CN, West-South or North-East connections aren't a problem.  An North-West connection track also exists.  The only non-existant connection is South-East.  This connection could be built by simply taking out a smaller commerical building, an electrical supply company (the rest in open space).  It would require a diamond crossing of the CN (ex-IC) line to Mobile.

Date: 05/14/21 23:10
Author: 3rdswitch

A north from CN to east KCS connection is also not available. The name switch tender came from the job that used to hand throw the switches, it was called the "switch tender" job. There was a small shed where the person could keep out of the weather. My first visit was pre KCS Mid South, which required lining four sets of crossovers for Mid South to get across the IC. And, pre CN you could hang out here without fear of arrest or hassles. Such is progress. Still one of my favorite junctions to visit.
JB

Date: 05/15/21 09:33
Author: Vicksburg_Route

I've covered this in previous threads here on Trainorders and in detail on various Facebook Groups, but I'll regenerate the information  for your benefit.  

Metaphorically, you asked for the time, but I'm gonna tell you how to build a watch.  I am sure someone else can use the extra information anyway. Anything worth explaining is worth explaining in detail.

The east-west line that belongs to KCS was constructed in the late 1830s and reached Jackson around 1840.  The IC predecessor, New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad reached Jackson about 10 years later.  I don't have the precise date.  The two railroads crossed at grade just south of where the current Union Station sits today.  In the 19-teens, cars became more numerous, as did trains as the economy recovered in the post-WW1 era.  The city fathers of Jackson, MS wanted to eliminate the grade crossings to improve safety and reduce delays.

In the early 1920s, the IC proposed a grade separation project through Jackson, and at about the same time, began proceedings to lease the Alabama and Vicksburg Railway through IC Subsidiary Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railway, which is today's KCS mainline.  As part of the grade separation project, the east-west A&V mainline passed UNDER the IC mainline at these Coordinates:  32.299131, -90.191173 . This track was known as the "Freight Main" until removal decades ago.

As part of that project, the IC constructed a "new" track for the A&V mainline called the "Passenger Main".  The "Passenger Main" is today's KCS mainline that passes through Control Point (CP) "Switchtender".

Another part of the Grade Separation Project was addition of a Wye at this location:  32.305558, -90.192295  At the time it was built in the mid-1920s, cars and locomotives were quite short by today's standards.  Most cars were 40 feet long, or less, and locomotives rarely exceeded 60 feet.  Since the A&V Passenger Main and the IC Mainline crossed at a rather shallow angle, the north curve (leg) of the Wye was very, very sharp, and the south curve (leg) of the Wye was less sharp, but still very sharp by today's standards.  During the CP Switchtender upgrade by NS and KCS several years ago, the curvature of the south curve was realigned and a second track was added that is now called "Monument" Siding.

Due to the severe curvature of the north curve (leg) of the Wye, SB trains on CN destined for points west of Jackson on the KCS must proceed through CP Switchtender, turn east and go to KCS High Oak Yard near Pearl, Mississippi, well east of the CN mainline.  At High Oak Yard, the power must be reversed and the train departs High Oak Yard, back across CP Switchtender for westward movement on the KCS.  

Curiously, CN currently uses High Oak Yard for their Intermodal traffic terminal.  CN Q194 (SB) proceeds east via CP Switchtender to High Oak Yard's Intermodal Facility.  Q194 then departs westbound, turns north via CP Switchtender, reverses the power and proceeds SB to New Orleans.  Northbound Intermodal, Q195 reverses power in CN North Jackson Yard, proceeds to High Oak Yard via CP Switchtender.  When ready to depart, the train simply turns north on CN at CP Switchtender and heads to Memphis.

The north curve (leg) of the Wye has not been upgraded as of the date of this post.  There are plans to do so.  The plans have not been executed due to some issues in acquiring the necessary property.  As I understand it, a church and some commercial buildings will have to be demolished to realign the north curve (leg).  In addition, a new bridge over Town Creek will be required.  Although I do not have details that I can confirm, I have been told that the church congregation does not want to relocate and that is preventing completion of the project.

I was also told that when completed, that CN and KCS were planning to operate trains between Chicago and Dallas, with KCS power running through to Memphis and CN power running through to Shreveport.  Using the north leg of the Wye will eliminate the need to go to High Oak Yard for the costly and time consuming reverse move for SB to WB/WB to NB movements.  

NB to EB/WB to SB movements are not currently possible without extensive line relocation and property acquisition.  Any such changes would have to be made in downtown Jackson and would involve business relocation as well as bridge construction.  The best option for creating NB to EB/WB to SB movements between KCS and CN might be to relay the former GM&O mainline between Elton, just south of Jackson to a location near the former diamond where the KCS and former GM&O crossed at grade at the west end of the KCS Pearl River Bridge.  However, the angle at that location would also require extensive track realignment and property acquisition.  The former GM&O mainline was just east of the former IC mainline at Elton.  At one time, a connecting track between the GM&O and IC existed.  The GM&O main was removed decades ago.  

The "Switchtender" is pretty much as 3rd Switch described it.  There was an individual assigned to the "Switchtender Shack" that would manually align the switches depending on the train approaching.  During the IC passenger train heyday, the "Switchtender" would have to align the switches to be sure that the train entered the correct track for the passengers to board or exit their trains.  Freight trains would periodically pass through the passenger station, if the train was a high priority train, such as a Strawberry or Banana Train.

The "Switchtender" job was eliminated sometime in the early 1980s as the employees who held the high seniority position retired.  Eventually, the crews were assigned switch duty as described in the Employee Time Tables of the era.  Thanks to the investment by the Norfolk Southern in the Meridian Speedway LLC, this entire area was upgraded to CTC control under the authority of the CN Dispatcher in Homewood, IL several years ago.  

In my opinion, the north curve (leg) of the Wye in downtown Jackson is absolutely necessary for an efficient flow of traffic between the former IC to points west of Jackson, including traffic bound for Dallas, Houston and Mexico via Laredo.

For what it is worth, the CP Switchtender area is not considered a safe area even during daylight hours.  Visitors should be remain very aware of their surroundings at all times.  If you've been there and not encountered any problems, you were fortunate.  My experiences have not been pleasant, and I avoid the area at all cost.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0763 seconds