Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Friendly color from the '80s

Date: 09/13/21 17:41
Friendly color from the '80s
Author: santafe199

Every now & then I run across little “blast from the colorful past” over in Abilene, KS. At over 20 years beyond the Santa Fe ~ BN merger it’s a very pleasant surprise to find some AT&SF blue & yellow color out in good light, just for the shooting. Enjoy!

1. 2. & 3. Three views of some very familiar colors from my 2nd home town, the very town I that caused me to become a Santa Fe fan. The name may be gone but the color still rings true...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/21 17:44 by santafe199.

Date: 09/13/21 17:42
Re: Friendly color from the '80s
Author: santafe199

One more to include that “Cascade Green” stuff:

4. Not a particularly well lit shot, but BNSF 1446 has been a regular denizen up & down the Strong City Sub for a few years now.
(4 photos taken September 11, 2021 in Abilene, KS)

Thanks for looking at the ‘old days’!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 09/13/21 17:57
Author: jgilmore

Nice set, or as I always like to say about a post-merger consist with these 2 schemes in it: BN+SF, not BNSF...

JG

Posted from Android

Date: 09/13/21 18:14
Author: atsf121

It is surprising to see those original paint schemes in pretty good shape 25+ years after the merger. I thought for sure everything would have been repainted, or retired, by now.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/13/21 18:38
Author: mg8711

Looks like I should've chased that TPSI over there...but Saturday night NASCAR takes priority over trains...neat find!
mg8711

Date: 09/14/21 05:11
Author: texchief1

Good to se the blue and yellow, Lance!

RC Lundgren

Date: 09/14/21 06:24
Author: PasadenaSub

Neat catch, I've never seen a solid cigar-band like that before.

Rich

Date: 09/14/21 08:42
Author: ntharalson

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-----0--------------------------------------------------
> Neat catch, I've never seen a solid cigar-band
> like that before.
>
> Rich

I believe this unit, a GP60, was in Mid American Car in KC for repairs.  Evan W. told me it would get repainted.  Apparently, all that got done was removing the Santa Fe lettering.  However, I was told several yeas ago when I asked that the lessor wanted the units in their Santa Fe scheme.  I have been widely ridiculed for this, but the fact remains that NONE of the former ATSF GP60's, the standard cab ex-4000 series, have been painted BNSF.  To those who told me the lease was up, are you sure the BNSF just didn't renew the lease instead of purchasing them outright?  Until I get proof to the contrary, i expect these to be the last units in any pre-merger scheme.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0594 seconds