Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Angelina & Neches River Railroad Questions

Date: 09/14/21 15:28
Angelina & Neches River Railroad Questions
Author: aggiebob

I need some information on the Angelina & Neches River Railroad, a shortline operating out of Lufkin, Texas. The latest information I have is quite outdated, a timetable from 1982. I also dispatched their trains between Prosser and Dunagan in the 1980s when I was employed by S, but that was quite a few years ago,
My questions:

1. What is their method of operation (TWC, yard limits, other than main track GCOR 6.28?)
2. What is their maximum speed (I suspect 20 MPH but not certain).
3. Anyone have a timetable for the A&NR issued after 2000?

Thnks,
Dave Bernstein

Date: 09/14/21 16:03
Re: Angelina & Neches River Railroad Questions
Author: Fiftyfooter

Check out "Great Shortlines West" by Charles Smiley it has lots of info on this shortline!

Date: 09/14/21 17:54
Author: BobE

Hi Dave,

That info I have only slightly more in date then what you have, namely an April 2011 in-person photo session.  

TThey are slow, maybe 20 or 25 top speed, and chasing was easy.

IIRC, the enginehouse is on Lufkin's south side.

When I don't know much about an operation, I use "shortline standard", that is M-F 0700 o/d.

I do recall getting to Lufkin later than that, it is was more difficult to find the train than to get 30 or 40 unique images of it (I'm still a film guy, so I'm aware a digital photographer could bast 30 or 40 frames at one spot to get one good one, but I mean, I chased him for hours and got all kinds of scenes)

BobE

Date: 09/14/21 18:37
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I live in Tyler, about an hour north of Lufkin.
It's basically a switching operation so no fast running.

The shop is on the north side, on Spence St near Ellen Trout Dr (US 69).

They typically run in daylight , though as days get shorter that may not be totally true.

Every time I have seen them, power is a SW1500 or similar with a caboose.

Date: 09/15/21 08:20
Author: BobE

Errrr.it sounds like I had my directions backwards.

BobE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds