Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Parker, AZ - Arizona & California Wrecker Derrick

Date: 10/03/21 18:49
Parker, AZ - Arizona & California Wrecker Derrick
Author: rrman6

I have some Kansas relatives visiting in the Parker area.  I was just Google Mapping the area and noticed the Arizona & California RR yards there.  On the Street View I spotted a nicely painted 250 ton Industrial Works derrick with the boom in a raised position.  I'm just curious, is this the only wrecker derrick the A & C has on their roster?   I'm hoping someone has color photos they might post here of this yellow/green #ARZ X 199794 unit. 

Found these:
A & C #1
​A & C #2
​A & C #4

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/21 15:45 by rrman6.

Date: 10/03/21 19:42
Re: Parker, AZ - Arizona & California Wrecker Derrick
Author: swaool

Here you go.  My son and I visited in July 1998.  We asked for permission to take photos and this is as close as we were allowed to get.

msw
spokane

Date: 10/03/21 19:56
Author: rrman6

It looks like between the two coupled locos and the shed your best was for this angled shot.  On the Google Street View I was able to see a good side view.  
I wonder if they don't leave the boom in this position most the time as it appears the same on the Google view.  The only way I stumbled on the fact this derrick existed was by spotting an aerial view of its shadow on the ground.  

Thanks for offering this shot.  These "wonderful beasts", what's left of them, are mostly nothing but rusting relics that, if surviving, will no longer exhibit any physical action like this ancient one with a somewhat active life.  I'm so glad I found her yard "shadow" on the Google Maps site.  Otherwise, I'd never known this ex-AT&SF piece even existed.  I once was fortunate to see the AT&SF Newton, KS derrick at the east end, and the Dodge City, KS derrick at the west end, work a minor derailment just east of Offerle, KS back in the 1970's.  More exciting than the CAT Sidbooms of today, although they are like "worker ants" in their own environment too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/21 16:11 by rrman6.

Date: 10/03/21 20:11
Author: arizonaBNSF

A&C bought that in the early 1990s not to long after they began operations. It was purchased from ATSF for about $26,000 (can't remember the exact amount) and was located in La Junta, CO before moving to Parker. According to the person who was the manager of the A&C when they bought it, they have thankfully never needed it to clean up wrecks, but use it instead to lift up locomoitves for replacing traction motors.

Date: 10/03/21 21:29
Author: 3rdswitch

They actually use it fairly regularly for maintainance. I have seen it in use there lifting a locomotive.
JB

Date: 10/03/21 22:47
Author: Texican65

The ol’ Ariz. & Calif. #1! Lots of pics of her on the net…

A pretty historical piece of gear considering it’s almost 100 years old. Ex-ATSF 199794, built in 1927 by Industrial Works…200 ton capacity. Spent time all over the place, Corwith, Fort Madison, La Junta…retired in 1990.

Lucky she never got the torch. I’d like to visit one day.

Thanks for drumming up some interest in her.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/03/21 22:53
Author: Texican65

Ha! The only wrecker they have on their roster? There’s only a handful even left in existence on any railroad still working.

The ATSF 199796 is preserved in Winslow about 5 hours east of Parker.

Very neat equipment

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/04/21 06:42
Author: hotrail

I hope they still have that beautiful pair of GP30s as well.

Date: 10/04/21 08:30
Author: PHall

hotrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope they still have that beautiful pair of
> GP30s as well.

Long, long gone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0647 seconds