Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF coal train Derailment Montrose IA

Date: 11/14/21 11:45
BNSF coal train Derailment Montrose IA
Author: Q-GP30

WGEM TV Quincy IL reports a BNSF coal load hit a barge jutting up on the river bank just south of Montrose IA last night at 11:51PM. Both lead motors and six cars derailed with at least two cars landing in the Mississippi River. Some fuel leaked but no word if either motor went in the drink. This was always a concern when I worked this line (BNSF Hannibal Sub,”K-Line”) with all the track right along the edge of the river. Crew was taken to the hospital but was reported minor injuries. At least it wasn’t the 3 car rail detector train that is in West Quincy due to run this line.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/21 11:48 by Q-GP30.

Date: 11/14/21 11:56
Re: BNSF coal train Derailment Montrose IA
Author: Spoony81

Date: 11/14/21 12:04
Author: Lackawanna484

Train Hits Barge is not a frequently seen headline.

Glad the crew wasn't seriously injured.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/14/21 12:05
Author: funnelfan

Damn, something you don't expect to read. The locomotive video would be interesting to see, but doubt it will be released to the public. Glad the crew recieved only minor injuries.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 11/14/21 12:33
Author: TAW

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Train Hits Barge is not a frequently seen
> headline.
>

I had a train take out a boat one time - boat factory at South Bellingham WA, just north of the Amtrak station, built on the land side and moved them on a dolly over the track to the water side. They had a contract building some pretty big commercial boats that took some doing to get across the crossing. https://goo.gl/maps/83jGtVFC9hWpzH5Y9

One afternoon, one of them didn't make it- wiped out by a 35 mph freight train. Wish I had a recording of the radio call from the engineer.

TAW

Date: 11/14/21 12:35
Author: DKay

Line closed until possibly friday next.
Regards,DK

Date: 11/14/21 13:25
Author: Q-GP30

They are already detouring via Galesburg but the line will be open in a couple days, I’ve had worse derailments on this line before and they were cleaned up in just hours.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds