Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Copper City Subdivision-Post MRL

Date: 01/10/22 19:49
Copper City Subdivision-Post MRL
Author: GCCIteacher

Some additional food for thought with BNSF acquiring the MRL—Will the Copper City  Subdivision become part of BNSF now or will it retains its autonomy?...................

Date: 01/10/22 21:47
Re: Copper City Subdivision-Post MRL
Author: callum_out

It'll be BNSF in that they are now the lessor and the lessee. It'll be a pool job out of Butte once
Homestake reopens. 

Out 

Date: 01/10/22 21:47
Author: Alco251

Terrific question...they operate under different rules than the rest of the railroad. Will be interesting to watch.

Date: 01/10/22 23:15
Author: donner_dude1

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It'll be BNSF in that they are now the lessor and
> the lessee. It'll be a pool job out of Butte once
> Homestake reopens. 
>
> Out 

Has BNSF stated their intent on reopening Homestake? If so where?

Date: 01/10/22 23:21
Author: jofegan

I saw Homestake mentioned in another MRL thread.
Would there be any motivation for BNSF to re-open this line?
It seems to have been inactive since pre-MRL and it's difficult to see what benefit there would be to placing it back into service.

--j

Date: 01/11/22 07:49
Author: inrdjlg

I remember reading that MRL initially had leased just the former NP main, but purchased the branches outright.  Also not sure whether the Evaro Hill line was a direct purchase or lease. 

Of course, most of the branch lines today are either out of service or little-used; however, will BNSF be acquiring them as well, or will they be up for grabs?    

Date: 01/11/22 09:59

That's sorta my question as well, Twin Bridges was always the mining boom that never happened. As for Homestake, maybe a better chance with
BNSF as a secondary main, but back to the branch line question which it is now especially on the East side.

Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/22 12:59 by callum_out.

Date: 01/11/22 10:45
Author: monaddave

callum_out Wrote:
>>but back to the branch line question which it is now especially on the East side.>>

From the MRL Q&A page for employees only (needs a password), BNSF plans to continue operations on the 5th, 6th, and 13th subs (that's the Logan-Pipestone ballast pit line; Harrison branch and Montana City branch respectively). It remains to be seen if BNSF will lease them or buy them outright. Timeline for everything to happen will likely be the end of 2022 at the earliest. 

The Copper City Sub has been in the latest BNSF Montana Div timetables but has their own work rules. I beleive it is dispatched from Fort Worth these days.
Dave in MT

Date: 01/11/22 13:01

Dave, I'd heard the same thing on the Copper City dispatching but it was from the crew and what do they know?

Out 

Date: 01/11/22 15:46
Author: splitreduction

Literally what?

Who are you to even say something like that….I would hope the train crew knows where their dispatcher is located! It isn’t that hard

callum_out Wrote:
> Dave, I'd heard the same thing on the Copper City
> dispatching but it was from the crew and what do
> they know?
>
> Out 

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/11/22 16:17

So a little humor prompts you to insult me, good crew , nice guys and were very helpful with their reply. 

Out 

Date: 01/11/22 19:53
Author: splitreduction

Yeah nice guys and you come online making them sound like idiots. Funny how that works.

callum_out Wrote:
> So a little humor prompts you to insult me, good
> crew , nice guys and were very helpful with their
> reply. 
>
> Out 

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0517 seconds