Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > “It’s Ugly Out There” - LA Times rail theft article

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/16/22 09:35
“It’s Ugly Out There” - LA Times rail theft article
Author: jofegan

More news coverage about the container theft crisis along Los Angeles rail corridors:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-16/rail-theft-soars-los-angeles-pilfered-packages-littering-tracks

-j

Date: 01/16/22 09:44
Re: “It’s Ugly Out There” - LA Times rail theft article
Author: donner_dude1

Date: 01/16/22 10:33
Author: PHall

Of course they're covering it, this is the story of the week in LA.
It will be probably be back to either Covid or the Homeless next week.

Date: 01/16/22 10:51
Author: DevalDragon

One of those main tracks looks like it has new concrete ties. What is the maximum timetable speed through that area?

Date: 01/16/22 13:03
Author: PasadenaSub

Haven't seen it mentioned in the other thread or this one.  The news calls the area of LA as Lincoln Heights, it appears to be just east of the former SP LATC 'Shops' Yard on the UP Alhambra Sub just east of the I-5 freeway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/22 13:03 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 01/16/22 14:15
Author: masterphots

Maybe the reporter calls the area  Lincoln Hts?  I always think of Lincoln Hts as where the former jail is, with  the SP between the jail and the LA River,  not far from where Dayton Tower was.   Who knows with modern reporting,  where so many refer to Santa Ana as Santy Ana.   Drives me nuts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/22 14:17 by masterphots.

Date: 01/16/22 14:25
Author: BAB

jofegan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More news coverage about the container theft
> crisis along Los Angeles rail corridors:
>
> https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-1
> 6/rail-theft-soars-los-angeles-pilfered-packages-l
> ittering-tracks
>
> -j
Well I read the article mentioned in the other post, contacted the source sort of got the person who helped him on the article.Questioned two items, one the local PD had nothing to do with things on UP property only there own UP PD did, Two that UP supplied all of the sub standard locks. Contacted my local RR source who is a retired engineer from a different RR but know first hand about this and other items.  Said the guy was wrong so everyone that read it thinks UP supplies locks and they are easier than any other RR to cut came from there source wow and same for the pd deal. Our great news reporters who don't know squat strike again there is no problem prosecuting crime in LA either all is well there. WOW

Date: 01/16/22 15:03
Author: TomG

Do you think better locks will make difference? Thieves are thieves, you get a better lock and they will get better bolt cutters. A battery dremal with cutoff wheel weighs nothing and cuts almost anything. Only way to stop it is stop the scum that's doing it.

Date: 01/16/22 15:41
Author: DevalDragon

TomG Wrote:
> Do you think better locks will make difference?
> Thieves are thieves, you get a better lock and
> they will get better bolt cutters. A battery
> dremal with cutoff wheel weighs nothing and cuts
> almost anything. Only way to stop it is stop the
> scum that's doing it.

Actually yes. The bigger the locks, the bigger the required tools and it's hard to carry big tools discretely.

Date: 01/16/22 15:47
Author: MojaveBill

As simeone who has been in the news biz off and on  since 1945 (starting as a kid correspondent) they are covering it because it is news.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 01/16/22 15:59
Author: memphisfreight

Interesting that the UP spokesman said yesterday that the problem was so bad it might lead to UP changing operations within LA County.  Hmm.

I know the city and others have wanted the Shops/LATC property for a long time.   UP just thumbed their noses at that and spent millions upgrading the yard.    We know that UP just did a pop up intermodal yard at West Colton.    Curious. 

Date: 01/16/22 16:24

memphisfreight Wrote:
> Interesting that the UP spokesman said yesterday
> that the problem was so bad it might lead to UP
> changing operations within LA County.  Hmm.
>
> I know the city and others have wanted the
> Shops/LATC property for a long time.   UP just
> thumbed their noses at that and spent millions
> upgrading the yard.    We know that UP just did
> a pop up intermodal yard at West Colton.   
> Curious. 

A small intermodal "yard" at West Colton. Not a whole bunch of capacity.

Date: 01/16/22 17:26
Author: Bondibluey

This mess on the Alhambra Sub has been like this for weeks. I was down there for a hospital appointment Monday after Christmas and saw it for myself. Been around railroads for 70 years and have never, never seen anything this derelict. 

It's a disgrace and totally out of control because Union Pacific won't put feet on the ground to patrol it. The cost of doing business I guess - a frequent attitude in the day and age of relentless cost cutting.

The key location is the San Pablo Street crossing at Mission Boulevard in Lincoln Park.

It is not Lincoln Heights, which as a previous poster mentioned, is over by the old jail.

If the reporters used their eyes they would see the name "Lincoln Park" on numerous businesses, public offices and recreation facilities in that area.

Just saw an Australian TV reporter for the Seven Network do a 'standup' right in the middle of the tracks. As Forrest Gump memorably said, "Stupid is as stupid does!" 

Date: 01/16/22 17:33
Author: mundo

Call up the National Guard...seem to do it for other reasons.

Course we forget that a few years back around Garnet-Whitewater-Indio, off duty marines from from 29 palms base were stealing the goods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/22 17:34 by mundo.

Date: 01/16/22 18:14
Author: Sp1110

What would Harriman have done if this had happened during his tenure?

Date: 01/16/22 18:16
UP letter to the DA
Author: stash

UP letter to Gascón, the pro criminal DA of LA County is attached. Arrest the criminals and they're back on the right of way doing crime in 24 hours;

Date: 01/16/22 18:30
Re: UP letter to the DA
Author: goneon66

this might get more views if you started a whole new thread and posted this.

thanks for posting.........

Date: 01/16/22 20:16
Author: Johnl26

George Gascon. Worst ever.

Date: 01/16/22 20:20

DA Gascon is not exactly popular with the law enforcement community. Heck even his Deputy DA's hate him.
There a recall movement that's in the signature gathering stage right now.
The only reason he got elected was that the incumbant he was running against was unpopular. But he's managed to be even more unpopular then she was and did it in under two years!

Date: 01/16/22 21:41
Author: portlander

rgzfan Wrote:
> Butch Cassidy: If he'd just pay me what he's
> spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop
> robbing him.
>
> LA thieves would get nothing, I guess.

On point.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0764 seconds