Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Jack Wolff passes away

Date: 08/04/22 07:06
Jack Wolff passes away
Author: Bob3985

It is with a heavy heart that my good friend, Jack Wolff, a noted UP photographer and author, passed away last night after a prolonged cancer fight.
Jack was a foremost photographer of UP diesels over the years with a lesser range of steam photos. He helped author several books, his latest was co-aurhoring the book "Union Pacific Facilities in Cheyenne Wyoming" with Jim Ehernberger. And over the years several of Jack's photos appeared in the Union Pacific Historical Society's Streamliner Magazine. He is survived by his wife and children. My sympathies go out to the family and friends.
May Jack have straight rails and clear signals.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/22 07:06 by Bob3985.

Date: 08/04/22 07:27
Re: Jack Wolff passes away
Author: santafe199

I've seen his work from afar. Sad news indeed!

Lance

Date: 08/04/22 08:35
Author: robj

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Bob

Date: 08/04/22 08:52
Author: BlaineM

So sad for his (our) loss.  My sympathies to Jack's family.  I have met Jack at the UPHS conventions a very fine gentleman. I have several books and photos to remember him by in my old age. 
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 08/04/22 10:19
Author: Intermountain

I'm very sorry to hear this Bob.  I never met Jack but sure have enjoyed his tremendous talents over the years. 
Just this past Saturday in Cheyenne, I had a very nice conversation with his son after 4014 backed to the shop area and he mentioned that his passing would be any day.  He was a fine young man and no doubt a reflection of his father, of whom he spoke very highly.  He has spent the last several months in Cheyenne so he could be close to Jack and his mom during this trying time and expressed how thankful he was for the opportunity.  A very sad day indeed.
Kirk  

Date: 08/04/22 11:49
Author: MacBeau

My sincerest condolences on your loss, Bob.
—Mac

Date: 08/04/22 11:49
Author: UP951West

I regret to hear of Jack's passing. Jack was a nice fellow and a great photographer . I have long admired his work . It was an honor to have met and talked with him.  My condolences to his family. 
RIP, Jack. 

Date: 08/04/22 13:33
Author: bbaker

I have many memories of Jack, unfortunately blurred by the passage of time.  

He was quite generous to the Baker family on a trip to Cheyenne.  He took me on a tour of the area, including the roundhouse.  And then he and his wife had my family over for supper.

And a superb black and white photographer, using a large format camera.

Bob Baker

Date: 08/04/22 19:08
Author: bradleymckay

Really sad news. I recall his many photos from the C&NW Cowboy Line, especially between Crawford,NE and Casper,WY. Also his BN Crawford Hill photos (and those of the late Doug Harrop) inspired me to visit Crawford Hill (multiple times).

RIP Jack!!

Posted from Android

Date: 08/04/22 19:21
Author: highgreengraphics

What a great guy. I used to run into him a lot. I miss him. === === = === JLH

Date: 08/04/22 19:46
Author: turbine

Bob I found out about Jack's illness in Cheyenne at the UPHS convention. Having known Jack since the 1980's I felt bad knowing how sick he was. I bought quite a few of his black and white photos and had a nice conversation with his son at the convention.
It is sad to hear this news even though I knew it was coming. May Jack Wolff rest in peace after a wonderful  life and all of the railroad photos he's taken and shared with all of us rail-fans!!!  RIP Jack!!!

Date: 08/05/22 06:10

Yes, Jack had a photo lab in his home and processed and printed all his works and some for others too.
He had a massive collection of prints and some slides he had taken. He especially loved doing black and white.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/05/22 06:19
Author: alongthejointline

Sorry to learn of Mr Wolff's death. Hope the UPHS receives his photo collection.

Date: 08/05/22 13:32

I had a visit from Jim Ehernberger and he took Jack's negatives over to the American Heritage Center at the University of Wyomint where Jim's and the UPHS collections are archived.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/05/22 18:48
Author: WP805A

Hi Bob,
So sorry to hear of Jack passing Our Condolences and Prayers to you and his family.

Dave & Serena Dodds
UPHS Member #3282S

Dave Dodds
San Dimas, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds