Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Senator Sullivan's Cooling-off amendment

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/01/22 16:58
Senator Sullivan's Cooling-off amendment
Author: Bandito

What isn't well known is that Senator Sullivan (R-AK) proposed an amendment today prior to consideration of the House joint resolutions to impose the terms of the Tentative Agreement on the workers. It called for a 60-day cooling off period, which would have taken the "The Union Grinches are gonna steal Christmas" hysteria off the table.

https://www.adn.com/politics/2022/12/01/alaska-sens-murkowski-and-sullivan-split-as-senate-votes-to-block-rail-strike/

It was voted down overwhelmingly 70-25 (with 5 not voting).

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1172/vote_117_2_00370.htm#position

I have opined recently on TrainOrders that the unions should have pre-emptively taken the possibility of a strike off the table until after New Years, and thus am fully in favor of this amendment. It may be "punting," but it would have taken Christmas out of the equation and allowed for the Union leadership to do a better job in the realms of lobbying and public relations.

I will leave it to you readers to look at the roll call vote and determine who is to blame for the subsequent passage and failure of the two main pieces of legislation.

Date: 12/01/22 17:05
Re: Senator Sullivan's Cooling-off amendment
Author: mapboy

Management, and not just railroad management, likes to defer strikes to the slowest time of the year, which is January in most industries.  A lot easier to replace strikers in January, also less noticeable to the public, less business and profits lost in January.  Striking during peak season is a bargaining chip for labor, maximum pain for railroads, but it didn't work well this time.

mapboy

Date: 12/01/22 18:59
Author: Trainhand

Well, I knew about what would happen, Congrress would not let the workers walk. They are too valuable, but don't contribute to the profits of the railroads. As of now you can go back to being the expendable peons that you were before strike talk started in June. I'm glad I'm retired.But I wish you could have struck. I have been there.

Merry Christmas.

Sam​

Date: 12/01/22 19:14
Author: PC1974

Some more information to ponder on what took place and the decisions we get to live with...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/12/01/senate-votes-to-impose-rail-contract-rejects-measure-granting-workers-7-paid-sick-days/

Date: 12/01/22 19:44
Author: kscessnadriver

Trainhand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I knew about what would happen, Congrress
> would not let the workers walk. They are too
> valuable, but don't contribute to the profits of
> the railroads. As of now you can go back to being
> the expendable peons that you were before strike
> talk started in June. I'm glad I'm retired.But I
> wish you could have struck. I have been there.
>
> Merry Christmas.
>
> Sam​

All of us in the airline industry were hoping to see them get a chance to strike, if they so chose to, as it would have opened the possiblity for us to do so if needed.

Date: 12/01/22 21:32
Author: atsf121

kscessnadriver Wrote:
> Trainhand Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, I knew about what would happen, Congrress
> > would not let the workers walk. They are too
> > valuable, but don't contribute to the profits
> of
> > the railroads. As of now you can go back to
> being
> > the expendable peons that you were before
> strike
> > talk started in June. I'm glad I'm retired.But
> I
> > wish you could have struck. I have been there.
> >
> > Merry Christmas.
> >
> > Sam​
>
> All of us in the airline industry were hoping to
> see them get a chance to strike, if they so chose
> to, as it would have opened the possiblity for us
> to do so if needed.

I know Delta pilots have been picketing for a while, I wonder if an airline strike was part of the political calculus here.  Not that anyone would admit to it.  But could you imagine the impacts of a large rail strike and then a large airline strike?  Wouldn't be Spring 2020 crazy, but it would be a mess, that's for sure.

Nathan

Date: 12/01/22 21:59
Author: MigraMan

Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio stood with the railroaders.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/01/22 22:34
Author: TAW

PC1974 Wrote:
> Some more information to ponder on what took place
> and the decisions we get to live with...
>
> https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/12/01/sena
> te-votes-to-impose-rail-contract-rejects-measure-g
> ranting-workers-7-paid-sick-days/

I was outside talking to power company guys an hour ago (2130 and it's 22 degrees outside as differs from the balmy 43 in the house - no quitting time in sight for them). They finally got my power hooked up after 2 days without - heavy snow (as in airborne slush) breaking trees. As we were talking about their pay and working conditions I told them that if they ever need help with the commissioners, I'd be the first one to testify. I told them about mass resignation of railroad guys. They told me they know...they have a lot who have hired out to work with them at the power company.

The conditions the politicians have tried to be heroes and prevent will come back to haunt them later, and except for the attempt by by MILW Chief Dispatcher that ultimately failed, they will be powerless to prevent it.

TAW

Date: 12/02/22 03:09
Author: JPB

Q: if bargaining had continued between RRs and unions without Congressional involvement, what would RR workers have been willing to give up in the PEB proposal in exchange for >1 day of paid sick time? 

For review, here's a summary of the PEB provisions (from the AAR web site) agreed to between class 1 RRs and union leadership:
  • Pay: Employees would receive a 24% compounded wage increase during the five-year period from 2020 through 2024, with a 14.1% wage increase effective immediately. Employees would also receive service recognition bonuses totaling $5,000 over the course of the contract. Retroactive wage increases and lump sum payments would provide employees an immediate payout totaling more than $11,000 on average upon ratification. In total, these are the most substantial compensation changes in many decades in the railroad industry.
  • Healthcare: Employees would maintain some of the best healthcare plans in the nation. The PEB recommended, “modest improvements” that maintain platinum benefits and set employee contributions at 15% per month. These costs are lower than relevant benchmarks for employer-sponsored health care plans and would bring rail workers in closer line with employees in other industries.
  • PTO: Employees would receive an additional paid personal leave day per year.
  • Craft-Specific Rules: The recommendations address limited work rule changes for certain crafts, including a process to make scheduling changes that will improve predictability and quality of life for operating craft employees and travel reimbursement rate increases for maintenance of way employees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/22 03:10 by JPB.

Date: 12/02/22 05:44
Author: Lackawanna484

MigraMan Wrote:
> Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio stood
> with the railroaders.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Three names you rarely see on the same side of an issue.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/02/22 06:47
Author: Drknow

It was never about paid sick days. Period. X100.

It was about crew consist and availability. Period. X100.

The Carrier’s threw the 24% out there as smoke and mirrors to hide
A. Self supporting pools.
B. Loosing bumps.
C. Loosing more on health insurance (non taxable benefit, so we lose double) that will eat into this “huge raise “

The paid sick days verbiage got put in so to sorta kinda make it understandable to civilians.

Along with the fact our lives will become even more unpredictable, this is a recipe for disaster, and the glass palace thinks they have won.

F them.

Solidarity and regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/02/22 08:45
Author: 57A26

I agree with the Doc that it really wasnted paid sick days per se.  It was about the attendence policies that thay have been adopting to.  At least for Train and Engine service crafts.  Even for someone who doesn't mark off very often, a few emergencies requiring laying off uncomensated, because they deny a paid leave/single day vacation, can put one's job in jeopardy.  I would've been happy if they would've said any properly documented medical related lay off, no matter what day it occurs, would not count against attendence.  

The amendment kicking the can down to the next congress would've been bad.  After the beginning of January, a new congress is sworn in.  You would still wind up with a congressionaly imposed contract, but possibly one even less than the one forced.  While congress usually imposes a PEB ot the last offered contract, they can do whatever they want, including in efect, rewriting the contract.  Remember, Republicans would have the House.  While Democrats still have the Senate, I could see them agreeing to anything the House voted in just to dispose of the issue.  

The problem is that unionized labor in the industrial sector have no real friends in congress anymore.  You have one side that talks the talk, but is really against industrial jobs or any jobs for the average people that pay a middle class wage.  The unions they really care about are those of government employees.  The other side is for industrial type jobs, and while they realize that they will usually pay better, they don't really believe in workers having a say in any part of conditions or pay.  So workers in those industrial jobs might make more than in service jobs, but may not be making wages they could or should be making.  In short generally speaking, we make too much for the Democrats to care about us, we don't make enough for Republicans to care for us.

And elites off all political persuasions think anyone working in a job that doesn't require 4 or more years and a degree shouldn't be making the wages we do. 

Date: 12/02/22 09:01
Author: P

atsf121 Wrote:
> kscessnadriver Wrote:
> -----
> > Trainhand Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Well, I knew about what would happen,
> Congrress
> > > would not let the workers walk. They are too
> > > valuable, but don't contribute to the profits
> > of
> > > the railroads. As of now you can go back to
> > being
> > > the expendable peons that you were before
> > strike
> > > talk started in June. I'm glad I'm
> retired.But
> > I
> > > wish you could have struck. I have been
> there.
> > >
> > > Merry Christmas.
> > >
> > > Sam​
> >
> > All of us in the airline industry were hoping
> to
> > see them get a chance to strike, if they so
> chose
> > to, as it would have opened the possiblity for
> us
> > to do so if needed.
>
> I know Delta pilots have been picketing for a
> while, I wonder if an airline strike was part of
> the political calculus here.  Not that anyone
> would admit to it.  But could you imagine the
> impacts of a large rail strike and then a large
> airline strike?  Wouldn't be Spring 2020 crazy,
> but it would be a mess, that's for sure.
>
> Nathan

Politicians have made it clear that they prefer chaos.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/02/22 09:23
Author: skinem

P Wrote:
> atsf121 Wrote:
> -----
> > kscessnadriver Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Trainhand Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Well, I knew about what would happen,
> > Congrress
> > > > would not let the workers walk. They are
> too
> > > > valuable, but don't contribute to the
> profits
> > > of
> > > > the railroads. As of now you can go back to
> > > being
> > > > the expendable peons that you were before
> > > strike
> > > > talk started in June. I'm glad I'm
> > retired.But
> > > I
> > > > wish you could have struck. I have been
> > there.
> > > >
> > > > Merry Christmas.
> > > >
> > > > Sam​
> > >
> > > All of us in the airline industry were hoping
> > to
> > > see them get a chance to strike, if they so
> > chose
> > > to, as it would have opened the possiblity
> for
> > us
> > > to do so if needed.
> >
> > I know Delta pilots have been picketing for a
> > while, I wonder if an airline strike was part
> of
> > the political calculus here.  Not that anyone
> > would admit to it.  But could you imagine the
> > impacts of a large rail strike and then a large
> > airline strike?  Wouldn't be Spring 2020
> crazy,
> > but it would be a mess, that's for sure.
> >
> > Nathan
>
> Politicians have made it clear that they prefer
> chaos.
>
> Posted from Android
 Indeed. You find something you're good at and ya stick with it.

Date: 12/02/22 11:40

Do railroad workers have something like A Day on the Hill for their members to visit with their elected reps in DC?

I know many state chambers of commerce, police and fire unions, small business people do.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/02/22 12:53
Author: engineerinvirginia

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Do railroad workers have something like A Day on
> the Hill for their members to visit with their
> elected reps in DC?
>
> I know many state chambers of commerce, police and
> fire unions, small business people do.
>
> Posted from Android

We all have Legislative boards whose job is to lobby on State and Federal level. 

Date: 12/02/22 12:53
Author: czuleget

Yep its called January 6th> LOL

Date: 12/02/22 12:58
Author: engineerinvirginia

I get the feeling that many people think that sour grapes is going to manifest itself in some untoward way. The fact is, what has occurred is 100% within the scope of the Railway Labor Act....while we reached a position where we COULD strike...Congress was likewise in the position where they COULD impose if they decided to do so. They did impose and now it is public law as we say in the trade...we will go to work and do our work earnestly. Those who truly can't stand this have still one option and that is to quit...and if they do so....I gain more seniority. So there!

Date: 12/02/22 13:14

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> -----
> > Do railroad workers have something like A Day
> on
> > the Hill for their members to visit with their
> > elected reps in DC?
> >
> > I know many state chambers of commerce, police
> and
> > fire unions, small business people do.
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> We all have Legislative boards whose job is to
> lobby on State and Federal level. 

Thanks, I was asking about masses of actual members who show up and make their presence known.  The NJ Chamber of Commerce sends 1500 members and (more) politicians to DC every year to emphasize all the businesses who are represented by their lobbyists.  NARP does (or did) the same thing.

Date: 12/02/22 15:08
Author: Trainhand

No , they can't do that because they'll be fired if they take off. 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1566 seconds