Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP in the NE/IA Snow

Date: 01/23/23 13:00
UP in the NE/IA Snow
Author: NDHolmes

Had to come back to the farm in Iowa this week to catch up on a few things this week, so I decided I'd follow UP across and take advantage of the snow and heavy frost (from overnight freezing fog) to get some winter shots

1 - An eastbound auto rack train near Dow City, IA.
2 - The same train finds a bit of sun (and speed) coming down into Carroll, IA.  From about Vail to Glidden I had sun, but the temperature dropped to the low teens.  Everywhere else, gloomy but warmer.
3 - UP 8509 westbound coming through the crossovers on the east end of the Boone, IA yard.

Date: 01/23/23 13:07
Re: UP in the NE/IA Snow

4 - UP 7400 - the breast cancer awareness unit - leads a train switching at the west end of the Boone yard and tying up nearly every crossing in town.  My understanding is that this one came off the Spine Line and had been bucking drifts up north, hence the snow in the pilot.
5 - Some power company is getting an expensive new toy.
6 - UP 3028 - a Tier 4 SD70ACe (or as UP calls them, SD70AH) - leads a loaded grainer between Ames and Boone

Date: 01/23/23 13:17

7 - The trailing motor on the grain train is NS 4509 - the first DC to AC AC44C6M I've seen in person, and clean one at that.
8 - A little out of order, but UP 5469 leads a huge freight drag outside of Columbus, NE.
9 - And finally NCRC 1005, idling away in Central City, NE.   The nose lights are a clear giveaway this isn't originally UP power.  Apparently it was originally ACL GP40 919, rebuilt as a Helm GP38-3 and eventually sold to UP, then Nebraska Central.

Date: 01/23/23 14:52
Author: 3rdswitch

Conditions I am glad I did not have to endure during my career in Southern California! Nice bunch. Especially number one.
JB

Date: 01/23/23 14:57
Author: SCKP187

Some fantastic snow shots—really like #1
Brian Stevens

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/23/23 15:11
Author: AndyBrown

A good collection!  That NS GE looks sharp!

Andy

Date: 01/23/23 16:41
Author: misty1

That new toy you spoke of  as of late 1-22 was still sitting in Boone.
Ed

Date: 01/23/23 16:46
Author: isambard

Nice! also, brrrrrr.

Date: 01/23/23 16:50
Author: callum_out

Good to see the door open on the 1005 to avoid having fogged windows.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0959 seconds