Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Westbound Oil Train Climbing Grade at Moabi CA

Date: 04/13/24 10:50
BNSF Westbound Oil Train Climbing Grade at Moabi CA
Author: rcdpubs

A revisit to Topock, Ariz., on April 12, 2024 brought a pleasant surprise that I hadn't seen before in many years of previous visits here. Looking about 5 miles due west into California a westbound oil train, having passed below me at Topock minutes earlier, was seen creeping up the grade just west of Moabi, Calif., en route to Needles. The settlement of Moabi and the Colorado River are hidden below the treeline. Two semi's are seen traveling on I-40 in the background. The clear and crisp visibility in the morning air of the desert here is amazing. Access to a scenic closeup view of BNSF trains passing Moabi is easily gained by taking the Moabi exit, the first I-40 Exit on the California side of the Colorado River, 2 miles distant. The second photo is an eastbound doublestack at Moabi on April 5, 2024, an easy shot 100 yards north of the I-40 exit.
Robert C. Del Grosso 

Date: 04/13/24 11:28
Re: BNSF Westbound Oil Train Climbing Grade at Moabi CA
Author: Curt

I've always loved filming from Park Moabi.  During the early morning hours the landscape, to me, almost looks like something from another planet.  Very desolate and peaceful.  Not sure if it was just an isolated event, but last time I was there, I was booted out by a Park official, who said we needed a permit (?).

Date: 04/13/24 12:20
Author: PHall

Most likely not an oil train but a loaded Ethanol train headed for the refineries near LA Harbor.

Date: 04/13/24 14:54
Author: eljay

possible it's an ethanol train but no basis to say "most likely" without substantiation

Date: 04/13/24 15:44
Author: zchcsse

eljay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> possible it's an ethanol train but no basis to say
> "most likely" without substantiation

Givern the numbers of ethanol vs oil trains through Needles, "most likely" is valid if no other info about the train (like symbol or placards) is known.  

Date: 04/13/24 17:13
Author: eljay

^ ^ ^ Certainly reasonable. Lading of the train is irrelevant to the photo's aesthetic value and phall "correcting" the OP is needless commentary. Just a good picture of a tank train.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/24 17:37 by eljay.

Date: 04/13/24 18:50
Author: Keith_Kevet

zchcsse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> eljay Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > possible it's an ethanol train but no basis to
> say
> > "most likely" without substantiation
>
> Givern the numbers of ethanol vs oil trains
> through Needles, "most likely" is valid if no
> other info about the train (like symbol or
> placards) is known.  

Correct, given the shear number of ethanol trains BNSF runs to the destination (not far from Watson Yard, which is north of the Port of LA) weekly. There was one on the Cajon Sub this morning.

BNSF ethanol trains to Stockton run as required. Maybe 2 a week, maybe none.

Keith_Kevet

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/24 18:52 by Keith_Kevet.

Date: 04/15/24 07:35
Author: pbouzide

I saw no issue with the tone or content of PHall's gentle correction or the "most likely" speculation.

A lot of us here care quite a bit about exactly what's moving on any given line in what direction between where and where else. And not only the nicely photographed trains and terrain and sky.

My style of reading TO is generally to at least open all of the posts in the Eastern and Western groups, and when I saw "Oil Train" in the title my interest was definitely piqued about this commodity move.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0531 seconds