Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Kansas Central Cabooses

Date: 04/14/24 19:28
Kansas Central Cabooses
Author: SmokyHillsSwitcher

Would anyone know what kind of cabooses (cabeese?) were used on the Kansas Central Railway, or for that matter the type on a 3ft narrow gauge railroad between 1870 and 1890? Looking to model the KC, currently have a brass Spartan 2-6-0 which I plan on making the #3 "Holton", aside from the tender having 8 wheels and not 4.

Date: 04/14/24 19:33
Re: Kansas Central Cabooses

Michael Boss' rendition of KC #3 near Hund, KS in the early 1870s. The roster from the book I have shows they owned two cabooses, but contains no descriptions of them.

Date: 04/14/24 20:26
Author: rnb3

Seek out upkpfan and santafe199 here on TO. Both gentlemen are an amazing wealth of Kansas railroad knowledge. Very proud of their home turf and always happy to share!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 04/14/24 20:52
Author: santafe199

rnb3 Wrote: > ... Seek out ... santafe199 here on TO ...

I appreciate the nod of approval! But I really don't have much in the way of Kansas Central (narrow gauge) stuff. A few fleeting conversations with Art Gibson was just basic knowledge that the KC preceded the LK&W, which seems to carry the strongest memories of the many various historical sources. I've never seen an KC cabeese photos. There is an old KC ng boxcar sitting in Leavenworth which has been posted here on TO. Do a search for "Leavenworth, narrow gauge" (all words) and you should find it. Other than that, I know of no other KC images anywhere...

Lance/199 

Date: 04/15/24 05:00
Author: sfn2633

Guys,

Jim W and I may have something that would help.  It may take a few days to dig something out of my "fine filing system" and I will be happy to post and share if I find something.

Jeff N
Olathe, KS

Date: 04/15/24 11:13
Author: monaddave

Have you seen Lee Quastler's book Kansas Central Narrow Gauge? Or is that the book mentioned in your original post?

http://www.southplattepress.com/current/kancent.html

Dave in MT

Date: 04/15/24 15:51

That's the book mentioned. I own both it and the one on the LK&W

Date: 04/15/24 21:09
Author: KCRW287

I just got back into town, I might have a newspaper article about an old KCRW caboose that the UP kept arounf Lv, let me look for it Tuesday, KCRW287

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0652 seconds