Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Pictures from my Saturday Run

Date: 08/25/03 07:09
Pictures from my Saturday Run
Author: Anonymous User

The link below takes you to my Webshots page. The last album, Rail Fair 2003, has 24 pictures I took on my run on the Austin & Texas Central. This weekend was Rail Fair. We ran 4 different passenger trains- the Hill Country Flyer, two Burtram Turns, and an Employee Special. I was on the long run, the Hill Country Flyer.

http://community.webshots.com/user/powerbraker1

Bob C

Date: 08/25/03 08:10
Re: Pictures from my Saturday Run
Author: gmp12

Great pictures, Bob. Really enjoyed seeing the run. Remind me...What or whose line originally was this rail you run over? HM.

Date: 08/25/03 09:36
Author: train671

Thanks for your chronology. I rode the Austin
Steam Flyer several years ago when it was
powered by steam and I understand the engine
is being worked on. Just curious if the the
diesel was pulling the same historic passenger
cars this year that they have in past years?
Thanks for posting all the pics.

Date: 08/25/03 15:38

The tracks we use are part of what was the Llano subdivision of the Austin division of the Southern Pacific railroad. The section from Giddings to Austin was built by the Houston & Texas Central Railroad and completed in 1871. This was the first railroad into Austin. The capital city's first train arrived via the H&TC on Christmas Day, 1871.

In a separate business enterprise, the line west of Austin to Llano was chartered in 1881 as the Austin & Northwestern Railroad. The intent of the A&NW was to link Austin with the Texas & Pacific line at Abilene, however, no track was ever laid west of Llano. The railroad was originally built as a narrow gauge line, with 3 feet between the rails instead of the standard 4 feet - 8.5 inches. The line reached Burnet in 1882. The line was extended to Marble Falls in 1888 and began hauling pink granite to Austin for the Texas Capitol building.

The cars in my train included 4 1910 era PRR P70 coaches and the Eagle Cliff, an ex-MP lounge sleeper. They are the same restored coaches we pulled behind the steam engine.

Bob C

Date: 08/26/03 06:22
Author: kenw

Some more history for you Bob:

The Whitehead family ranch (in the family from prior to the Republic) surrounds the tracks just west of the S San Gabriel crossing. It's also known as Indian Mound Ranch. I plan to be planted in the family cemetery years from now.

My Grandfather was the agent at Marble falls when they shipped most of the granite to Galveston for the seawall construction. I have a pic of him on a flatcar load.

Date: 08/26/03 10:22
Ken

Ken,

If you would send me a copy of that pic, I will add it to the historical pictures we have in our lounge car.

Bob C

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds