Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > HazMat Number Codes

Date: 01/04/04 22:27
HazMat Number Codes
Author: Charles

A few weeks ago I saw a train almost completely made up of tank cars except for a couple of boxcars behind the power and one boxcar at the end. Anyway, most (if not all) of the tanks cars were placarded with either a 1987 or a 1993 code. What were these cars hauling? Is there a website that lists all of the hazmat codes?

Related question: I assume that the boxcars behind the power and on the end were required due to the cargo's of the tank cars. Is that indeed the case?

Charles

Date: 01/04/04 22:43
Re: HazMat Number Codes
Author: Ed_Gyptian

Chemtrec publishes a pocket guide for emergency responders. Kind of interesting to check on whats on the placards. You see their 800 number on cars a lot.

(CHEMTREC® (Chemical Transportation Emergency Center) was established in 1971 by the chemical industry as a public service hotline for fire fighters, law enforcement, and other emergency responders to obtain information and assistance for emergency incidents involving chemicals and hazardous materials. )

Date: 01/04/04 22:49
Author: Captain92

1987 is alcohols
1993 covers a wide range of products from flammable liquid-toxic not otherwise specified (nos) to diesel fuel and fuel oil. Generally heavy combustable liquids. A lot of times we only have a general idea of the hazard and that's why we rely on the bill of ladings to get accurate information. As to where to get this information I found it on the web by searching for "emergency response guidebook". The complete book is there.
Lynn

Date: 01/04/04 22:51
Author: ten87

Date: 01/04/04 22:57
Author: stash

I had this bookmarked, but don't know if it's a good link anymore:
http://hazmat.dot.gov/gydebook.htm

My first guess is that 1993 is diesel, but not totally sure.

Date: 01/05/04 00:16
Author: jst3751

ten87 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.hz.genium.com/searchmsds/
>
> 1987= Aflatoxin G2
> http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_2
> 17356.html
> 1993= o-Tolidine
> http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_2
> 72500.html
>

Your reference to 1993 is wrong. Try looking at the link. It shows the UN number is 1708 POISEN. 1993 is Flammable Liquid.

Posting of information such as concerning Hazardous Materials must be taken seriously and done correctly.

Date: 01/05/04 02:48
Author: Ed_Gyptian

1993 is various flammable Liquids, including diesel, other hydrocarbon compounds including refrigerants, "not otherwise specified" and cosmetics. All of which have the same response tactic.

So he was right, you could have a bunch of different things placarded 1993.

The number is not necessarily specific to the cargo, it will be specific to a listing in the Response Guide which lists a general description or several more specific descriptions and the Guide number for precautions to take. The exact (hopefully) composition will be on the waybill.

Date: 01/05/04 08:13
Author: SurflinerHogger

Captain92 Wrote:
> As to where to get this information
> I found it on the web by searching for "emergency
> response guidebook". The complete book is there.
> Lynn

When I worked freight, we were issued a hazmat code book. I find it surprising that you guys have to get your codes from the web. Don't the roads issue the books to the crews anymore?

Date: 01/05/04 09:22
Author: lowwater

Here is the easiest link I've found. You will need the Adobe Acrobat reader to get from the commodity links to the response guide.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/erg2000/unidnum.htm

lowwater

Date: 01/05/04 11:51
Author: Captain92

Surfliner
Yup, I was using the Emergency Response Handbook off the engine (fire). I should have mentioned that. I didn't think I could put a possibly copyrighted web site on the thread. Perhaps I can. I was just playing it safe. But yes Surfliner, we still live (and die) by the book.
Lynn

Date: 01/05/04 15:50
Author: Charles

I was asking as most of the tank cars were ADM cars, and I didn't think those cars would be hauling anything non-food related, so I was a little surprized to see them placarded.

Charles

Date: 01/05/04 16:22
Author: MTMEngineer

Charles Wrote:
> I was asking as most of the tank cars were ADM
> cars, and I didn't think those cars would be
> hauling anything non-food related, so I was a
> little surprized to see them placarded.
>
> Charles

ADM prides themselves as a world leader in the prodution of ethanol and biodiesel.

Date: 09/01/14 15:00
Author: drgwmp344

You can also google "hazmat code xxxx" and you will get the information for that hazmat code number specifically.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds