Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Elko to Salt Lake City traffic?

Date: 01/31/04 12:07
Elko to Salt Lake City traffic?
Author: DWBrown

I will be in Ely next weekend for the Railfan special. I will be returning to SLC via Elko and would like to follow the SP/WP east. What kind of traffic can I expect and what are the best frequencies? Only one day on the transcon route on Monday and some morning time in SLC on Tuesday. Anybody got any suggestions?

I will be arriving on Friday the 6th in SLC and going west to Wendover and then SW to Ely.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dale B.

Date: 01/31/04 12:45
Re: Elko to Salt Lake City traffic?
Author: sdrake

Check out Palisade Canyon which is south of Carlin, NV. It involves driving on some gravel roads but they should be in reasonably good shape as long as there is not snow on them. I have not really been railfanning west of there. Most of the traffic east of Wells takes the ex-SP line across the north end of the Great Salt Lake to Ogden. This is harder to follow. It is possible to drive out to Lake Point which is the east end of the causeway across the lake but it is a relatively long drive off of I-80. You can check out the Arnolds Loop at Silver Zone Pass between Wells and Wendover but the road getting out to the loop may be a bit rough for a regular car. You need to get off at the overpass that is a few miles east of the pass and take the dirt road on the north side of I-80. The problem (in addition to the rough and confusing roads) is that you might wait quite a while for any traffic.

Date: 01/31/04 13:34

Thanks,

I will have a 4X4 for the trip. Also I have the Altamont Press Timetables, Delorme and if it works a GPS Delorme program. So should help.

Dale

Date: 01/31/04 14:33
Author: boomer

Dale, if you're going to be over on the SP side on Monday then you should be looking for westbounds most of the time as the Eb fleet of intermodals (ZLTCS/ZLTG1/IOAG1) don't run that day; eastbounds that you might catch would include an empty grainer or two, and one of the regular daily manifests that usually show up late morning or early afternoon out of Elko, such as the MRVNP or MRVNPB. Looking for westbounds should bring you better luck as the ZMNOA/IG2OAs are usually out there somewhere during daylight hours, while manifests such as the QNPRVP/MNPRV will also be in the area; the ZCSLT/ZAPOA pair usually run at night through there. You may also run into a loaded grain train or two coming west, although those are all 'supposed' to be running west on the WP these days.

Over on the WP side you can always count on catching the Marblehead/Wendover Locals out working during the week (with their standard SD40-2s). Coming west out of SLC would be the MRORV (runs daily, depending when it gets out of Roper), along with the ISCLTs (morning-Monday/Tuesday), however everything else will be hit and miss...the BNSF manifests show up whenever, as do the over-tonnage QNPRVPs/MNPRVs that are suppposed to run via the WP tracks to Alazon. Grain trains will also come west via the WP, but they also tend to show up at various times. Valmy coal train loads run west on the WP about 2-3 times a week. Eastbound on the WP side you can usually find the MRVRO out there every day (times vary-usually mid-morning), along with the BNSF manifest trains, which run 5-6 days a week. Other trains to watch for include the Valmy empties (2-3 a week), along with an occasional empty BNSF coiled steel train, although those haven't been running that way as of late.

All in all, expect around 8-10 trains during daylight hours on the SP side, while the WP side will usually have 4-6. One tip: you won't go that way coming south from Wendover to get to Ely on Alt Hwy93, but when you come back north to go to Elko (Hwy93), look for the old semaphore signal still in place at Currie on the old Nevada Northern line there (just east of the highway right there in the town). You will cross right over the NN tracks as you go through Currie so you can't miss it. There's an old gas station/store there in Currie but it's closed right now, so the next place for vittles will be Wells, about 70 miles north.

Have fun in Elyville...

Date: 01/31/04 14:44
Author: JDLX

Have had significant snowfall so far this year, so getting off pavement is not advised (and don't count on your cell phone to be able to call for help on either...).

That being said, we have had warm temperatures here recently, which has led to some snow melt, which means that mud season is starting early, and you definately do not want to get out on dirt roads during mud season.

Have fun, enjoy your trip out here...and if you have any doubt about the ability of your vehicle to make it to somewhere, don't tempt fate.

JDLX
Elko, NV

Date: 01/31/04 15:23

I should have read your message a little better to start with. I recommended going to Palisade Canyon. It is a neat place with both the ex-WP and ex-SP tracks, several tunnels and a number of interesting bridges. However, it is WEST of Elko by about 30 miles or so.

You could also visit Cobre and the Valley Pass area which is east of Wells on the ex-SP. The Nevada Northern used to interchange with the SP at Cobre. You can get to Cobre from I-80. I was there once but it was a while ago. Another area that I hope to explore some weekend this coming summer.

Date: 01/31/04 15:32
Author: TCnR

My few trips out that way let me find the grade between Montello and the NN junction (Cobra?). The section that I have in mind parallels a state road (Nv 233?), a number of photo spots are about one hundred feet from the road. If you work at it you can line up a little scenery behind the train as it ducks into the contours of the hill, it's double track at that point if I remember correctly. I'm sure that the mud holes are in that first few feet though. Too bad these guys can't post their phone numbers and help winch you out.
During my visit, the Montello Post Office made for some interesting compositions (not really RR related but interesting old building) and the UP overpass at Wells had just been hit by one of the SP wreckers, never did hear the story behind that one. I think downtown Wells had some interesting old brick buildings, don't know if they're still there. There's also the standby photo with a mega lens looking east from Montello, seems to be a big hill on the south side. Seems to me I'm overdue for a slide night.

Date: 01/31/04 15:44
Author: brettrw

I want to reiterate that the snow on the backroads is present in many locations. I have been in Northern NV a few times in the past 2 weeks (between Winnemucca ~ Carlin and south through Eureka and Ely, and didn't find many of the side roads very appealing. Speaking of Ely, the snow was fairly heavy there last week too.

I'll defer to the other answers on locations and such, good luck!

Brett

PS Snow warnings aside, a 4X4 would probably navigate many of the dirt roads I have noticed trackside, so there is hope...

Date: 01/31/04 16:35

With a 4X4, snow is usually not too much of a problem unless it is quite deep or the temperature is right around the freezing or slightly above. However, mud is something else especially is the soil is clay based. I almost always carry heavy chains for mud but the are a real nuisance to put on and take off and limit your speed to about 10-15 MPH max.

Date: 01/31/04 19:28

Thanks for the symbols and information. I guess it is just a matter of guessing what time and where is the best place. Pretty much how all railfanning goes!

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee here in Ohio. However I do know my limits, especially in the isolated areas of the west. Of course that last great photo location begs you to go a little more!

Been through Currie back in 98 when I was at the NN last time. I don't think I got the a photo that time. Also in 1999 followed the SP to the Cutoff and drove the old CP/SP grade to Promontory. Hours and hours of driving and no other cars. I have been to Carlin and Palisades canyon. I think that was the old interchange with the Eureka and Palisades Narrow Gauge. I have had few trips to the area before. Just trying to get the best opportunities this time.

Glad to hear about the snow coverings. Looks like it will be a good weekend for snow.

Thanks to all. Anyone got the best frequencies?

Dale
Cincinnati, OH.

Date: 01/31/04 19:42
Author: brettrw

Freqs...

Lakeside Sub - Ogden to Alazon : 161.550
Shafter Sub - SLC to Alazon : 160.470
Elko Yardmaster : 160.740

These frequencies will also cover the Elko Sub Tracks 1 and 2

Brett

Date: 01/31/04 21:05
Author: JDLX

Palisade was the interchange point between the Eureka & Palisade and the SP/WP railroads.

Cobre was the old SP/NN interchange point. Cobre is Spanish for copper. When the NN was building north from Ely they initially planned to build into Wells, but later decided to go up the east side of the Spruce and Pequop mountain ranges. One of the officials in Nevada Consolidated Copper Company (the organization that built the NN, the McGill smelter, and started the mines) had just returned from a trip to South America, and suggested Cobre for the name of the new connection with the SP.

Weather service has issued a winter weather statement that talks of a potentially strong front moving through the Great Basin on Monday and Tuesday, they don't know how strong it is yet but they do anticiapte the possibility of a bunch more snow on Monday and Tuesday.

One thing to be especially alert for when you get out here...there is not much to block the wind, and it is not uncommon for snow to drift, with the result being that the depth of snow can easily go from 6 inches deep to 2 feet deep in a matter of a foot or two, with no visible changes on the snow surface. I have also driven some roads out here where my left tires were on bare dirt and I was bucking snow with the right side of the bumper. When you come make sure you have at least one good sturdy shovel, in case you end up having to dig yourself out.

If you come in good weather (not now) be sure to take the dirt road that follows the ex-SP from Cobre around the north end of the Pequops to Moor Summit. A lot of this road is on the original transcontinental railroad grade.

If you have any questions about conditions, you can always stop in at any one of the Forest Service offices (Elko, Wells, Ely) or Bureau of Land Management (Elko or Ely).

Hope this helps.

-JDLX
Elko, NV

Date: 01/31/04 21:32

Thanks again for the updated info. I will be careful in the snow. I hope that 93A will be clear to Ely.

If I am in Elko, where might I find JDLX? Railfanning or at work?

My wife is Peruvian, so I have learned about cobre, plata and oro.

My website: http://home.fuse.net/PeruvianRails/Peruvian%20Rails.htm

Dale Brown
Cincinnati, OH.

Date: 02/01/04 11:42

Hey Dale, if you're coming out from Cincinnati, you'd better bring fellow Cincinnatian BobE with you - he's still looking for that perfect shot of a train crossing over another one at the Palisade crossovers west of Carlin! Keep trying, Bob!

Date: 02/01/04 14:52
Author: gobbl3gook

Q for Boomer--

A couple months ago you were reporting that the UP was shifting most of the traffic off the WP in favor of the SP (causeway). Now it sounds like the Roseville-Roper(SLC) trains are on the WP. Did they experiment around with switching those to the causeway and switch them back? If so, good for them!

And an Ely question--

With the plummetting US dollar, is the mine talking about reopening? Do they say how low the dollar would have to go before they'd reopen it?

Have fun out there in Ely--post lots of pics when you get back! You're in for a treat.

Ted in Davis

Date: 02/01/04 15:11
BNSF Steel Coil Trains on the WP
Author: rivulet

Dale, just a note about the BNSF coil trains - they have been running again. Caught the W-B yesterday afternoon leaving Smelter onto the WP behind two BNSF and 1 NS Dash-9s. Have seen the coil MTs a couple of times last week. Burmester is home to the Marblehead local. Dash-2s have handled this job for a decade and a half!

Date: 02/02/04 10:22

Ted, I sent you a reply via the TO e-mail.

Date: 02/10/04 23:01

thanks to All that posted here. It helped in finding a few trains. I was able to catch two WB on the WP side between SLC and Wendover on Friday. Then I headed to Ely via 93 A. Arrived in Ely for the night photo shot. It was spectacular and cold. Had the moon rise over the loco on the Mainline east of Ely.

The next day was snow and cold. Late afternoon was better. On Sunday it was very clear and cold. Fresh snow everywhere. Stayed till about 2 PM and headed north to Elko via Currie. Also saw the depot at McGill as well as Currie.

Monday I had a late start from Elko and shot the WP diesel and Caboose on display on RR Ave. and 7th. More fresh snow and long lineup on the radio while driving. Unfortunately couldn't check my Timetable to figure out where all were at. Headed west to Carlin and found a EB leaving Carlin. Turned around and followed it back to Elko.

The train was held in Elko and I decided to head east. Just outside of Elko about 15 miles, I drove to a private crossing of both RR's in Elburion (i.e. sp from memory). Saw a hi railer go through on the WP side WB. So figured no trains. Left to return to I-80 and headed east. Then found two doublestacks WB one after another. Only shot second frieght from the highway. After that saw no other trains that day. It was snowing again.

Stayed in Wendover last night and now back at home in Ohio. No trains on WP this morning either. I did see a SLGW, SW switching as I was driving to the airport.

So not as successful as I would have liked. Not enough time this trip. NN was great! Maybe I will be return again next winter. Will be Reno for a TUT Tour on the Cal Zep. in April.

Dale Brown

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1102 seconds