Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF SD70MACs

Date: 06/27/04 11:13
BNSF SD70MACs
Author: rattenne

Late last week I shot a UP southbound through Modesto that featured a CLEAN SD70M(!) and as second unit BNSF 9772 in the green/creme scheme.

After doing a little research it appears that the first couple of orders (1996-97) were delivered in this now rare scheme. What I don't know is WHY they were painted in this scheme?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Date: 06/27/04 11:20
Re: BNSF SD70MACs
Author: tolland

I assume by "creme and grey" you mean Grinstein Green, many times referred to as "Eddie Bauer" colors by railfans because of the similarity of those colors to many Ford SUV colors which were popular in the early 1990's.

Gerald Grinstein was CEO of Burlington Northern at the time and as I recall, it was his choice to have these locomotives come in these colors. Many of the locomotives have had the BN logo replaced with the BNSF logo, or else they have BNSF logo on the long hood portion. If you come to Denver or coal country, you'll see at least a third of the SD70MACS in this color scheme.

Date: 06/27/04 12:12
Author: hank

I think BNSF 9828 was the first SD70MAC to be painted in the Heritage II scheme. It seemed that just after the merger between BN and ATSF there was some movement as to what paint scheme would survive or what new scheme to come up with. Also I remember some information that paint supplies had been bought for the series of SD70MAC locomotives and were to be used up before going the the Heritage II scheme.

Ron

Date: 06/27/04 15:59
Author: KoloradoKid

All Green and Creme:

BN 9400-9646

BN 9648-9710
BNSF 9711-9712
BN 9713-9716
BNSF 9717-9737

Vomit Bonnet:

BNSF 9647

All heritage two:

BNSF 9838-9999
BNSF 8800-8984 (last number IIRC).

A nubmer of the green and creme have been repainted to H2. I don't know numbers off hand. More of the BN have been restenciled as BNSF.

KK

Date: 06/27/04 16:07
Author: alco636

Grinstein green. Ugh, what a disaster that was. Grinstein's wife liked the green and cream on BN's executive F units. It was her idea that the SD70MACs get that god forsaken paint scheme. Those SD70MACs would have looked better in good old green and black.

alco636, NOT trying to offend Grinstein green pholks

Date: 06/27/04 23:17
Author: TopcoatSmith

No offense taken, I like that scheme meself and think pumpkin 2 looks like something Tyco made up.

TCS - warbonnet high hood c-630s!

Date: 06/27/04 23:34
Author: FGS

This was before the purchase of Espee's GEs, and I'd never seen a single SD70Mac before. I didn't travel to California then, so the Espee's purchase of SD70s hadn't been seen by me...

I just couldn't believe it! A MAC-Attack on Donner. Is this the cream and green?

Jimmy "B"
Reno, Nevada

Date: 06/27/04 23:47
Author: rattenne

Yes, that's what I referrd to as green and creme, but now I know the entire story. Looks like your photo was shot at Floriston, a great location for westbounds.

And I'm sorry you anti-Grinstein guys, I like the scheme. It has a railroad feel to it in terms of the lines, and the pinstripes look cool. You should feel lucky we're nt saddled with NS black everywhere!

Date: 06/28/04 05:12
Author: bn2189

Well, the lines of the paint scheme were good enough for the Alaska RR to use for its SD70MACs, saving them money. I daresay blue and yellow looks better with the lines than the original BN, though...

Maltby Turn out.

Date: 06/28/04 07:04
Grinstein Green = Perlman Green?
Author: cdub

Is it just me, or does it seem like that there is a close match between Grinstein Green and the WP/Perlman Green that was applied to diesels in the 1970's and early 80's. Under certain lighting conditions, both colors appear black but when you expect them up close or under different lighting conditions, they definitely both are a dark shade of green.

Date: 06/28/04 10:14
Re: Grinstein Green = Perlman Green?
Author: tracktime

cdub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it just me, or does it seem like that there is
> a close match between Grinstein Green and the
> WP/Perlman Green that was applied to diesels in
> the 1970's and early 80's. Under certain lighting
> conditions, both colors appear black but when you
> expect them up close or under different lighting
> conditions, they definitely both are a dark shade
> of green.

From what I recall, the WP's shade of green seemed much lighter to my eyes.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 06/29/04 18:22
Author: FECSD40-2

Grinstein's scheme actually doesn't look bad. Warbonnets (both of them, blue and yellow and red and silver) are tops though. Why not a dark green and yellow warbonnet or orange and silver warbonnets if the classic AT&SF schemes are not brought back? Even plain black is better than H2, which sucks big time.

Date: 07/03/04 21:54
Author: alco636

I once used GG to touch up a Atlas WP U23B. Worked very well too.

cdub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it just me, or does it seem like that there is
> a close match between Grinstein Green and the
> WP/Perlman Green that was applied to diesels in
> the 1970's and early 80's. Under certain lighting
> conditions, both colors appear black but when you
> expect them up close or under different lighting
> conditions, they definitely both are a dark shade
> of green.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0767 seconds