Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Needles and Amtrak

Date: 06/27/04 23:06
Needles and Amtrak
Author: vegasrails

Since I need to attend a business meeting of all places at Laughlin this Thursday thought after wards I might drive a few miles further and visit the transcon catch a few trains especially the east and west bound Amtrak that stop at Needles nightly.
Any one have a general idea when or what time I should expect their arrival I know it late and they are late but for once I have some time and no hurry to return home. Plus any shooting locations other than at the Needles station at night? Thank in advance for any ideas....Ken

Date: 06/27/04 23:31
Re: Needles and Amtrak
Author: David.Curlee

Train #3 is due out of Needles at 12:49am, and train #4 is due out of there at 1:22am. It's not that uncommon for the two trains to meet at or near Needles. The Amtrak station (just a platform) is really on BNSF property, where they change crews on all through freight trains. The old Santa Fe depot is boarded up, fenced off, and unused.

Even several years ago they were hesitant about railfans or non-passengers being on the platform. There are BNSF special agents and security people based out of the Needles office. More likely than not, they will chase you off unless you have a ticket or plan to buy one aboard the train. BNSF is becoming increasingly paranoid about security issues, and with Needles as it is, I doubt they tolerate suspicious-looking people walking around near the office or equipment storage area. Not that you're any different looking than the rest of us. Everybody probably looks suspicious to them. =)

Date: 06/28/04 01:03
Author: southlandwarrior

Just wear your UPfoamer1™ hard hat and safety vest and your problem is solved!

David.Curlee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even several years ago they were hesitant about
> railfans or non-passengers being on the platform.
> There are BNSF special agents and security people
> based out of the Needles office. More likely than
> not, they will chase you off unless you have a
> ticket or plan to buy one aboard the train. BNSF
> is becoming increasingly paranoid about security
> issues, and with Needles as it is, I doubt they
> tolerate suspicious-looking people walking around
> near the office or equipment storage area. Not
> that you're any different looking than the rest of
> us. Everybody probably looks suspicious to them.
> =)

Date: 06/28/04 08:41
Author: RRChuck

Ken,
On the contrary, I have never been harrassed on the platform at Needles. Most of the 'rails' are quite friendly (more so than Vegas). One even printed a lineup for me a while back. That's the best spot for night photos because there is some ambient light around.
If you're still there at daybreak, on your way home take I-40 to 95north to Vegas - there's a couple of good photo spots along there you will discover - although the light favors afternoon shots.
On your way to Needles, check out the Avi Resort (shameless plug, I work there!). Good place to stay while railfanning Needles!
Chuck/Las Vegas & Laughlin

Date: 06/28/04 16:58
Author: brettrw

Chuck,

I knew you worked in Laughlin, but I didn't realize you worked at the Avi. I helped work on the Bingo hall tent when they upgraded the AC last summer. If I had known you worked there I would have tried to get you to comp a meal...:) Beg for it is more like it huh??

Brett

Date: 06/28/04 18:31
Author: zchcsse

WOW! Some more local Trainorders guys. I just moved out to Needles and am one of those forementioned friendly BNSF employees there. (And I do frequent the Avi a bit...heading over there tonight actually.)

If any of you want to contact me off list, try tmerritt@mohavebb.com.

Tom

Date: 06/28/04 19:33
Author: LesWhite

Attend Needles crew change point each year and have never been bothered.....only bad thing no where to sit except an old tree stump and the cold nights and hot days......still there is a cafe across the road that serves good grub sometimes in the trash bin for papers beside the office are discarded crew lineup sheets that are often still accurate for the next 12 hours or so.....

Date: 06/28/04 22:13
Author: vegasrails

Thanks for all the ideas, don't want to give the impression I haven't taken photos in Needles before. But have never caught either of the Amtraks as they passed through thought this would be a good time for it.
Needles station has always had a friendly atmosphere, crews have been friendly and helpful. The BNSF cafe across the steet serve great snacks 24/7 and cheap too.
Thanks again for the ideas, BTW Southland I think you still have my UP hat.....

Date: 06/28/04 22:21
Author: David.Curlee

Perhaps I encountered isolated incidents. If so, I'm glad to hear it since being around crew offices is always fun. One time I was driving through Needles, maybe 4-5 years ago, and they kindly asked me to leave the platform area. Apparently they had problems with employees/locals/railfans(?) stealing water and ice there for non-railroad use.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds