Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What does this yard tower number sign mean?

Date: 06/28/04 10:31
What does this yard tower number sign mean?
Author: NscaleMike

Taken around 1982 in LA at Taylor yard..., just curious what the "90" meant on the number board.

Date: 06/28/04 10:37
Re: What does this yard tower number sign mean?
Author: Gonut1

Speed Limit?

Date: 06/28/04 11:27
Author: UP4306

Number of days left until being employeed by UP.

Date: 06/28/04 11:57
Author: LenKratz

How about temperature?

LK

Date: 06/28/04 12:14
Author: SDP40F

I belive that its a counter.

Date: 06/28/04 12:22
Author: TopcoatSmith

SDP40F Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I belive that its a counter.

That's inspiring, care to expand on maybe what kind of counter?
Or is it maybe a track indicator? Belive you me eye kant thimk of what else it mite bee.

TCS - spel cheker is my fiend

Date: 06/28/04 12:54
Author: UPNW2-1083

That's the "tote" board on Mainline tower at Taylor yard. It gives a train permission to leave a track, which in this case is track 90.
Tote boards are still in use at West Colton at both Pepper and Cedar overpasses.-BMT

Date: 06/28/04 14:50
Author: sploopconductor

Having spent a GREAT many months, weeks, days, and Looooong hours waiting at "Main-Line Tower" for the "tote" to enter (or leave) the yard, IIRC, "90" was your permission from the Hearder to come off the Main into the yard. I will dig out my old yard notices and get all the codes. Track numbers would come up (as they do at West Colton) and that was your permission to move, with proper signal indication, if needed. Another was "88", which IIRC, was to make moves to / from the caboose tracks.

As a side note, this is the tower that the Southern Pacific system-wide, 'world famous', Switchman known as "Catman" had duty for many years, on afternoon shift. Ray Shaeffer, aka, "Catman" is still working out of Bakersfield / Mojave. If you have ever seen / heard reference to "Catman" in various books, this was his hangout!

The street in the forground is, of course, San Fernando Road. The tower stood at about where Elm street intersected S. F. road.

Ah, the "good ole days" at Southern Pacific's Los Angeles Taylor Yard!

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 06/28/04 15:22
Author: spnudge

Thats Main Line Tower in LA. It sat at the bottom of "A" yard and at the top of "C" yard. He controlled the switches on the ladder tracks AND the final say on the main line crossovers. Dayton would set the main line switches and signals as he wanted, but he had a switch in tower that could hold the signal until he was ready. I think "90" was the OK to come on into the yard from the east and I think we got an "80" from the west. I know when we were made up on, say C-4 to go to SLO, after you got your air test you would call Main Line Tower and tell them you were ready. He would tell Dayton to make the lineup and he would call Burbank and top end of "A" yard to see if they were ready for us. If they were, we would get a "4" on the board and that meant we could pull.

Nudge

Date: 07/02/04 12:32
Author: rcorick

i did not like to be called for the tower job , it would usually go to the last guy on the board . some liked it , to me the time went slow .there was a big clock to look at all night l o n g ......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds