Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Possumbelly connector

Date: 07/29/04 10:11
Possumbelly connector
Author: HUSKERHERB

I have a question regarding the former Southern Pacific East Bank Junction connector to the tracks running up to old Taylor Yard referred to as the Possumbelly. Was this connector built around the time of the opening of Union Station in 1939 or prior to that period?

Date: 07/29/04 16:59
Re: Possumbelly connector
Author: railstiesballast

I think that you are correct. The "possombelly" was originally double track,it shows as two tracks into the 1950s late steam, but most diesel shots are single track. It was rebuilt with concrete ties and welded rail by Metrolink just last year. It is used as an occasional passenger route presently, the rails are always shiny.

Date: 07/29/04 16:59
Author: puckeringswine

Bill Bradley's book "The Last of the Great Stations" shows a 1937 drawing which includes The S.P. connector. Its actually one leg of a wye, with the other leg off the Sunset Route. The Possumbelly looks like a Possumbelly as it crosses the mains and curves back to meet them. I am not sure how it got its name but if it could be railroad slang for all similar engineering features much like Shoo-Flys and Dog legs are found on all railroads. I do seem to vaguely remember one story about a nearby hobo jungle where possum was frequently on the menu.

Date: 07/29/04 18:57
Author: TopcoatSmith

Tastes like chicken.

TCS - gunna git me over ta popeyes now.

Date: 07/29/04 20:52
Author: HUSKERHERB

Thanks all for your comments!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds