Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Whereizit?

Date: 08/23/04 13:57
Whereizit?
Author: funnelfan

This will probably be a easy "whereizit?" for some. But you need to tell me where it is, and where the second BNSF train in the photo is ;^).

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 08/23/04 14:06
Re: Whereizit?
Author: TopcoatSmith

Looks like an EB at the McNary Dam on the Warshington side (not sure if that's called The Dalles too or not), second should be leaving Wishram??? (tiny pic, no esta paid the $)

TCS - eye strain.

Date: 08/23/04 14:14
Author: BobE

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like an EB at the McNary Dam on the
> Warshington side (not sure if that's called The
> Dalles too or not), second should be leaving
> Wishram??? (tiny pic, no esta paid the $)

I labelled that spot "North Dalles, WA" on the slides I shot in 2000 there. If my eyes aren't deceiving me, the train is westbound, so the other train is over on the Oregon side, which would be around Rowena on the UP.

BobE

Date: 08/23/04 14:21
Author: TopcoatSmith

Looking at Mapquest, it refers to it as Dallesport and doesn't even show the dam.
I'll take your word for it on the other train.

TCS - .

Date: 08/23/04 14:29
Author: CNW6500

Whereizit?

I can honestly say it is not here, wherever here is. I do believe that it is overthere and am sure that it could be somewhere other than there.

Date: 08/23/04 14:34
Author: spider1319

Boardman coal train southbound out of Juniper on the Ayer Sub.(east of Hermiston, Or.)

Date: 08/23/04 14:37
Author: MacBeau

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
If my eyes aren't deceiving me, the train is westbound, so the other
> train is over on the Oregon side, which would be
> around Rowena on the UP.
>

Looks eastbound, but when did the BN start moving coal up the Columbia? Could this be a coke load for Martin Marietta?

Date: 08/23/04 14:45

Date: 08/23/04 14:46

Only one person has come close, but failed to mention where the other BNSF train was.

Date: 08/23/04 15:11
Author: BobB

I agree with spider1319 that this is a westbound BNSF Boardman coal train running on the UP Ayer sub on its way to Boardman, having changed railroads by heading to Wallula after leaving Pasco. That means that the other BNSF train, on the other side of the river, is on the BNSF Wishram sub, somewhere between Yellepit and Plymouth. I don't know that area (which has no public roads) well enough to be more specific.

Date: 08/23/04 16:08
Author: jdb

Is mp209 close enough? And Yellepit on the other side?
(Yellepit, named for Yellept, chief of the Wallawallas that was very friendly to the Corps of Discovery)

jb

Date: 08/23/04 18:19
Author: BrianA

Just south of UP's Juniper sounds right for the BNSF coal train.
For the power I am guessing the BN 9539/BNSF 8251/BNSF 9285 with the date being Sunday 8-15-04.

As for the train across the river how about around the isolated siding of Berrian?

Brian Ambrose

Date: 08/23/04 20:45
Author: bnsfbob

funnelfan Wrote:
> Only one person has come close, but failed to
> mention where the other BNSF train was.

On the OT across the river halfway thru Tunnel 1, dude. Train in foreground is eastward near Maryhill, WA.

Nice shot. Bob

Date: 08/23/04 21:12
Author: truxtrax

No mistaking the elevator at Port Kelly in the background, so I'm going to agree it's on the "Washy" south of the point where hwy 730 goes over the UP. I'll go along with it being Boardman coal loads too. Maybe pix was snapped from the Pendleton-Cold Spring Hiway overpass? I can't see anything over on the BNSF side even with the pix enlarged, so I give up on that one.

Butch,,,,here we go

Date: 08/23/04 21:16
Author: BrianA

bnsfbob Wrote:
> funnelfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Only one person has come close, but failed
> to
> > mention where the other BNSF train was.
>
> On the OT across the river halfway thru Tunnel 1,
> dude. Train in foreground is eastward near
> Maryhill, WA.
>
> Nice shot. Bob
>

The coal train is loaded so I doubt it is eastbound. The OT out of Wishram crosses over the UP and is above the freeway and up on the hillside thru the tunnel (neither of which is in the shot) and the distant headlight I see is at river level.

Brian

Date: 08/23/04 21:31
Author: bnsfbob

BrianA Wrote:
> bnsfbob Wrote:

>
> The coal train is loaded so I doubt it is
> eastbound. The OT out of Wishram crosses over the
> UP and is above the freeway and up on the hillside
> thru the tunnel (neither of which is in the shot)
> and the distant headlight I see is at river
> level.
>
> Brian
>

Your logic, facts are impeccable. I agree that loaded coal east is an improbability. The shot is not clear enough to register the details on the other side. UP and the interstate would be at river level, so the "headlight" could be a UP EB or the profile of a semi-truck. I seem to just barely make out the OT and the tunnel portal on the hillside. On the other hand, maybe I need to clean the glass on my monitor.

The more you analyze these trick photos, the more you put your foot in it and I've probably violated my own rule. Sure looks like the Wishram area to me. Plus, the railroad in the foreground doesn't have the UP "9 foot tie" look to it. Bob

Date: 08/23/04 22:11
Author: truxtrax

I'll be damned, there is a headlight on the BNSF way up river across from Port Kelly!
My hats off to you Ted. It's not easy to get two westbounds with BNSF power in one picture, with one on each side of the Columbia!

Butch,,,,,here we go

Date: 08/23/04 22:31

BobB is the first one to get both parts right, although spider knew where the coal train was. The BN SD70MAC led coal train is acutally a southbound Boardman coal train on Cold Springs Hill between the Sidings of Juniper and Cold Springs. The train is passing MP 197 on UP's Ayer Sub. The headlight of a westbound BNSF grain train can be seen on the opposite shore from Port Kelley in the background, appox MP 209 on BNSF's Wishram Sub. The Boardman coal trains are interchanged between the UP and MRL at Spokane, WA. This location is about 10 miles east of Umatilla, OR. The Gorge in the background is known as the Wallua Gap.

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@icehouse.net

Date: 08/23/04 22:38
Author: rob_l

Boy, Ted, you sure had the non-PNW folks on the run with all their guesses about EB coal trains in the Maryhill/Wishram/The Dalles area.

I stayed out of this quiz since I shot UP train #151 at this spot in 1972. The only BN power in those days on the Washy was on a once-a-year unit sheep train from a BN load-out in Montana to Shutler on the Condon Branch.

One typo in your last post: You meant the Wallula Gap.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 08/24/04 05:49
Author: Gonut1

Dover, Delaware?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0769 seconds