Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Non-Union Crews on Union Roads

Date: 09/10/01 12:28
Non-Union Crews on Union Roads
Author: Freddie

I suspect that with many branch lines being sold by Class 1 railroads to non-unionized shortline operators who have some trackage rights over the Class 1 tracks, situations might arise where there could be some kind of labor dispute. How does this work?

Date: 09/10/01 13:07
RE: Non-Union Crews on Union Roads
Author: jlosal

I am not sure if the answer I will give will help you,but it might give some insight.
Currently the BLE and UTU are trying to merge.There is a big turmoil
going on about this.Most do not want it.I have heard alot of them say if it goes through,they will drop out of the union.This is coming from both sides.As far as I know the BLE covers only locomotive engineers,while the UTU has railroad workers and bus drivers and maybe some others.
Some states have a "open shop" law.That means the union cannot force you to join if you do not want to in order to hold a job.Florida is one of them.
So,it could be in some locations that it makes no difference about work rules between the union class one and the nonunion shortline.

Date: 09/10/01 15:03
Author: braska

OK here goes UTU takes everyone engineers,conductors,brakeman switchman, yardmasters ec., BLE takes engineers, conductors also same deal. UTU also takes on everyother transportation craft ie pilots, bus drivers and about anyone else that wants to join. The UTU is not affiliated with the AFL/CIO the BLE is. It takes 51% of the union members to vote out the union otherwise you are required to be a member to work on the railroad under their operating agreements and pay scales. I know of mines that will not allow NON union companies onto their property, therefore coal trains would be out of the picture. IE the coal mines in Montana and Wyoming.

Date: 09/10/01 15:47
Author: wigwagfan

Freddie wrote:
>
> I suspect that with many branch lines being sold by Class 1
> railroads to non-unionized shortline operators who have some
> trackage rights over the Class 1 tracks, situations might arise
> where there could be some kind of labor dispute. How does this
> work?

One word - LAWSUIT. The labor unions sued Southern Pacific when SP began their purge of Oregon branchlines to the Willamette & Pacific and Willamette Valley Railroads stating labor law, union law, whatever. Needless to say, the Federal District Court ruled in favor of SP, and now these railroads leased from SP (now UP) are non-union.

Date: 09/10/01 17:39
RE: Right to Work states
Author: fbe

State right to work laws are superceded by the federal Railway Labor Act. If your RR has a labor agreement, you can be required to join the applicable union regardless of what state law may allow.

Date: 09/10/01 17:40
Your question . . .
Author: LWA

Freddie wrote:
>
> I suspect that with many branch lines being sold by Class 1
> railroads to non-unionized shortline operators who have some
> trackage rights over the Class 1 tracks, situations might arise
> where there could be some kind of labor dispute. How does this
> work?

as I understand it relates to a nonunion crew working in unionized areas.

It happens a great deal in many areas. I have noted the Cedar River, a sub. of the Chicago Central/ICRR/CN crews operate into the ICRR yards without problems. The Cedar River crews are nonunion. No problems that I have ever noted.

Same with the IANR operating over ICRR tracks and UPRR tracks - both of the latter are unionized, and no problems.

I rather doubt if the unions are about to attempt to unionize these small carriers with a handful of employees. The Cedar River has only one three person crew per what I have been told. As I understand it, when they need an extra man, he is borrowed from the ICRR.

LWA

Date: 09/10/01 21:31
Author: CSX_Hoghead

I am sure if Boyd had the chance, he would shake down those 3 crew members in Cedar Rapids for union dues.

Date: 09/11/01 03:21
RE: Cedar Rapids??
Author: LWA

CSX_Hoghead wrote:
>
> I am sure if Boyd had the chance, he would shake down those 3
> crew members in Cedar Rapids for union dues.

Why Cedar Rapids??

You need to study your geography.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1028 seconds