Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What's up with the zephyr west of Denver....

Date: 01/21/05 22:25
What's up with the zephyr west of Denver....
Author: eatontm

Having not heard if trains #5 and 6 have had their service restored through Colorado I'm curious to know. The last I heard was #5 was terminating in Denver but why isn't it moving through Wyoming? Just wondering if I should expect a train #5 tomorrow morning and whats going on with the amtraks and the ex drgw west of GJ (ruby canyon). For that matter will there be any bnsf traffic, I guess if west of GJ is still closed there won't be but surely the line must be open?? Thanks.

-Tyler

Date: 01/21/05 22:41
Re: What's up with the zephyr west of Denver....
Author: dan

SEE the Atk board, will tell u everything. Then the wrecked equipment was here in Denver thurs night and took off fri morning. Atk running den-chi till the 28th.

Date: 01/21/05 22:45
Author: NDHolmes

No 5/6 until the 29th, last I heard...

My guess (and it's just a guess, anybody want to shoot holes in it?) is that with the LA&SL main still blocked, they need any capacity they can get between the port of LA, SLC, anc points east. Since the Sunset Route has been running very full the last few months, that probably means up to the Bay Area via Tehachapi (or the Coast Line - is it fixed yet?) and either over Donner or via the FRC, then east to SLC and across Wyoming. Since the Donner / FRC corridors aren't set up for that kind of surplus traffic, it was best to keep Amtrak out of the way until the LA&SL is reconnected and traffic flows return to normal.

Like I said, just a guess. Feel free to support or blow holes in it.

Nathan
http://www.drgw.net

Date: 01/21/05 23:02
Author: eatontm

Thanks Nathan,

I think you have a good guess on why Amtrak has been terminating in Denver. It seemed weird to me as they so commonly use the overland to skip trouble on the Grande. So is the DRGW running normal, I'm assuming the Ruby canyon ordeal has long been fixed.

Also I'm just so used to using the western board that I forget about the others (except for the nostalgia) so thanks for leading me to the amtk board becuase sure enough it was packed with info. Kind of scarry having no Amtrak, makes you worry that maybe they might see that its not worth the trouble to run the train after all....

-Tyler

Date: 01/22/05 09:01

Tyler I wonder if turning and watering in SLC would perhaps be tight, or impossible. That new station may not have a wye close bye. Perhaps like the others said, to save money. X games in Aspen next weekend , hopefully I'll make it up and Atk will be running. Does make you wonder.

UP grinds to a halt, so does amtrak, look at the Sunset. UP has major natural events to deal with.

Date: 01/22/05 09:19
Author: RioGrandeFan

It isn't worth Amtrak's time to send out a total of 4 trainsets, which would be rquired in order to operate to SLC. It is easier for them to just terminate in Denver. The Zephyr has been getting shorter as well. Only 5 Superliners instead of the usual 8. Only one coach, one sleeper, diner, lounge, and crew car. Seems like they don't need two locos but with Amtrak's trouble with the P42's I guess it is good to have backup.

Latest is that #5 (originating in CHI on the 27th) will run west of Denver on Friday the 28th and #6 (originating in EMY on the 28th) will come into Denver from the west on Saturday the 29th. I guess this means no #6 into Denver on the 28th. We will see if this holds up. More UP delays could push this all back even more.

The Ruby Canyon rock slide was cleaned up the day after the accident according to UP. The line has been open for about 2 weeks now or so.

I've been having fun with these delays. It is easy to watch #6 at 88th and Hwy 2 on the BNSF since they are leaving on time. Amtrak going 79MPH is quite neat to see. I guess 90MPH would be even neater.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 01/22/05 19:32
Author: P

It's a real bad sign when the freight road can just say that they're too busy to run 1 passenger train each way a day on a route and Amtrak says 'OK, no problem'.

Is anyone else as appalled at this as I am?

Date: 01/22/05 23:14
Here is the Denver Zephyr at the coliseum

painted on the wall, as observed during the stock show.

Date: 01/23/05 09:49
Author: KatDiesel

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a real bad sign when the freight road can
> just say that they're too busy to run 1 passenger
> train each way a day on a route and Amtrak says
> 'OK, no problem'.
>
> Is anyone else as appalled at this as I am?

There is alot more to it then that. So no I am not as appalled as you are.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0673 seconds