Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 4526 today in Beaumont Pass, CA

Date: 03/11/05 19:17
UP 4526 today in Beaumont Pass, CA
Author: PasadenaSub

Not heading up to Winterail this weekend, but still wanting to do something significant railfan-wise - I headed out to San Timeteo Canyon today. Saw about 10 trains in 6.5 hours, including this eastbound manifest led by UP 4526.

Not just another Union Pacific SD70M, this is the first unit to be painted with the now common US flags on the sides. I believe the pattern is a bit different than what become standard on the flared SD70M's. The unit is paid homage to, of course, by T.O. member UP4526. This one's for you Dave!

First two shots were taken in the El Casco curves near MP 552.

Date: 03/11/05 19:20
Re: UP 4526 today in Beaumont Pass, CA

Ok, I went with the more dramatic shot first. Here's the approaching shot at the same location. 2nd unit was FURX SD40-2 8119.

Date: 03/11/05 19:24

At the famous curve at Beaumont proper. Check it out - only $1 for Fillet-O-Fish at McD's!

Date: 03/11/05 19:27

Last one.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Date: 03/11/05 20:51
Author: thefab4

I see good RR practice being applied here as two empty flats are up near the front of the train. I guess Dunsmuir is all but forgotten now. I know, trains never derail or string line in real life. It's in model RR'ng that these things happen.

Date: 03/12/05 06:28
Author: mdo

Great Photos!

San Timeteo canyon has never looked better. Nice to see all those concrete ties and all of that new rail. This reminds me of something that rail fans, as well as pros, often overlook. That is, the maintenance of existing track structure. We think of and discuss the UP's investment in additional second track on the Sunset Route. Think about all of the new investment required to catch up with the SP's deferred maintenance along this route. Obviously UP is up to this task and, at least in this area, well along with it.

mdo

Date: 03/12/05 06:38
Author: sd60m

Has this one been in a wreck?

Looks like they've done some work on the conductor's side front grab irons/railings as the wings are "damaged" and the iron is not painted white.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds